@allengeorge doesn't stand a chance in the Professional Cynics League (sponsored by PCL) ...against @Amare . Allen has already let a couple of quasi-positive comments slip through while Amare has been batting a 1000 for years. 🫣

I wouldnt be excited due to both value engineering and community consultations dragging this out for 2 decades

I wouldnt be excited due to both value engineering and community consultations dragging this out for 2 decades

2 decades? Really? Planning is turning applications around in 90 days at the moment; and they were very involved in crafting what you see here.

I’m definitely holding my breath as to not be dissapointed. Plus I am skeptical of truly how red the clad will look in final build. CG tower in Vaughan is an example of how that worked out….

2 decades? Really? Planning is turning applications around in 90 days at the moment; and they were very involved in crafting what you see here.
I'd be very surprised if Planning was involved in crafting this - there is so much against the tall buildings guidelines in this proposal that the pencil pushers would not be able to look beyond. Problem with the city is if it doesn't conform, it cant be supported, which is why everything looks the same unless there is a massive fight.

I'd be very surprised if Planning was involved in crafting this - there is so much against the tall buildings guidelines in this proposal that the pencil pushers would not be able to look beyond. Problem with the city is if it doesn't conform, it cant be supported, which is why everything looks the same unless there is a massive fight.
You couldn’t be more wrong in this case.

Further to @Tuscani01 's post above the applicant's own documents explicitly mention the collaboration with Planning and Urban Design. I posted it; here:

This is the key paragraph:

1713989239320.png

Also, this proposal has been explicitly endorsed by Councillor Matlow.

That's a cute exercise, but without Madison agreeing to alter their site specific bylaw or NOAC to explicitly list Vinoly as their architect (and why would they do that?), there's no way for the City to enforce that Vinoly is their architect. Even if they did, but TFAI took over completely, what is Toronto Buildings going to do? Absolutely nothing because that's the way the system is set up.

That's a cute exercise, but without Madison agreeing to alter their site specific bylaw or NOAC to explicitly list Vinoly as their architect (and why would they do that?), there's no way for the City to enforce that Vinoly is their architect. Even if they did, but TFAI took over completely, what is Toronto Buildings going to do? Absolutely nothing because that's the way the system is set up.

For the same reason that Forma's approval included explicit guarantees on the architect and the design.

Express approval through Planning and Council; at a height they would otherwise be unable to get and a density they would otherwise be unable to able to get, with a design that will add to the sales per ft2 revenue and/or rental income that the site can produce.

Now it may not end up that way, but there's no reason it couldn't or shouldn't.

Avoiding years of process or appeals is a real savings, and the backing of the local councillor and planning can also aid a fast moving permit process.

Just because they put it in the By-law for Forma doesn't mean it's really enforceable. Municipalities try crap all the time that doesn't hold up at court.

Great Gulf just chose not to challenge it.

Just because they put it in the By-law for Forma doesn't mean it's really enforceable. Municipalities try crap all the time that doesn't hold up at court.

Great Gulf just chose not to challenge it.
Also in the case of Forma, I don't think if you sold buyers on it being a Frank Ghery building, and then went "JK ITS KIRKOR!" that would have gone well for them.

Back