News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Not built yet, but coming to prince charles

View attachment 568208

Yes, please. Having buildings like this integrated into every neighbourhood is what's going to make an impact on our city, and will lead to a much better urban urban fabric

It is an old BRICK wholesale centre with a little bit of European charm as infill
IMG_6952.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6954.jpeg
    IMG_6954.jpeg
    272.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6953.jpeg
    IMG_6953.jpeg
    277 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6952.jpeg
    IMG_6952.jpeg
    305.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6949.jpeg
    IMG_6949.jpeg
    264.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6950.jpeg
    IMG_6950.jpeg
    245.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6948.jpeg
    IMG_6948.jpeg
    367.2 KB · Views: 9
It is an old BRICK wholesale centre with a little bit of European charm as infillView attachment 571130

Manchester Square truly surpassed my expectations in terms of quality and popularity. It's still a strip mall at its core, sure, but it is a great addition to the area!

I was going to say does it include a cauldron upstairs in case your local coven stops by?

It is interesting and probably unique. I don't like infill when houses with character in older areas are torn down and replaced by very bland new ones that would fit in better in new suburbs.

Not built yet, but coming to prince charles

View attachment 568208
I don't get the appeal for infill developers to build in Prince Charles versus other neighobuhroods closer to the core. It's not really near anything other than the Yellowhead and the old airport and there are few walkable amenities in the area unless you are near 118 Avenue, and even then there are only a handful of commercial storefronts.

At least Inglewood to the south is a little closer to the popular 124 Street strip, albeit still being north of the main commercial section, and has the large Camsell Hospital infill site and is also closer to Downtown and other amenities. I just don't get why Prince Charles is popular for new builds...

I don't get the appeal for infill developers to build in Prince Charles versus other neighborhoods closer to the core. It's not really near anything other than the Yellowhead and the old airport and there are few walkable amenities in the area unless you are near 118 Avenue, and even then there are only a handful of commercial storefronts.
One aspect of the missing middle / multiplex movement that cities are failing to capitalize on is the commercial aspect. Increased density is amazing, but without the presence of grocery stores and other commercial amenities nearby people will resort to driving and neighborhoods will be less vibrant (such as Prince Charles). I realize that the Edmonton Zoning Renewal has some use cases for commercial use, but to me it seems far too limiting and I doubt it will be utilized that much (see below):
1718377379529.png

Also, note that the 300m2 was reduced to 100.

I'm really hoping that if commercial uses fail to materialize in a meaningful way (and I hope I'm wrong) that Edmonton revisits this aspect of the zoning bylaw.

One aspect of the missing middle / multiplex movement that cities are failing to capitalize on is the commercial aspect. Increased density is amazing, but without the presence of grocery stores and other commercial amenities nearby people will resort to driving and neighborhoods will be less vibrant (such as Prince Charles). I realize that the Edmonton Zoning Renewal has some use cases for commercial use, but to me it seems far too limiting and I doubt it will be utilized that much (see below):
View attachment 572354

I'm really hoping that if commercial uses fail to materialize in a meaningful way (and I hope I'm wrong) that Edmonton revisits this aspect of the zoning bylaw.
Yeah a few smart users here noted the reduction of max floor area to 100m2 for commercial was a major kneecapping of the new zoning bylaw and frankly there was absolutely no good reason for it except for NOOOO WONT SOMEBODY THINK OF THE PARKING???

Yeah a few smart users here noted the reduction of max floor area to 100m2 for commercial was a major kneecapping of the new zoning bylaw and frankly there was absolutely no good reason for it except for NOOOO WONT SOMEBODY THINK OF THE PARKING???
Yeah, I was surprised when I discovered that. A lot of councilors were in support of that amendment too it seemed.

1718378890500.png

This rule specifically sticks out to me as more impactful. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it essentially means that these commercial uses can only occurs on properties that are adjacent to an existing commercial property that isn't a residential zone. Meaning, in Prince Charles for example, you will only potentially see new commercial uses adjacent to 118 avenue and the existing commercial properties there. It seems super limiting, especially in neighborhoods that have no commercial at all!

View attachment 572354

This item will be going to Urban Planning Committee on August 13. Still plenty of time to write to your Councillors. June 11 - UPC Agenda

If I remember correctly, City Admin is recommending a reduction to 200m2 rather than 100m2.

Back