News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Diploma mill International students are waiting hours for low paying entry level jobs. Local university and high school kids don't have a chance.

"Two Conestoga students arrive seven hours early for 10 a.m. start"

“It is difficult to find a job right now, so I just want an opportunity,” said Thirupal, 25, who has been in Canada for 14 months and estimates he’s applied for 50 jobs in the past two months alone"

Diploma mill International students are waiting hours for low paying entry level jobs. Local university and high school kids don't have a chance.
What a mess. If you’re not a work visa holder, permanent resident or Canadian citizen you should not be able to apply for any job whatsoever. If you’re on a student visa, you’re a student, that’s it, and are supposed to bring sufficient money for your accommodation before you come.

I always tell my two young adult kids that they are my life’s project, and in that line I’ll be weaponizing every contact and favour I’ve made in my nearly thirty year career, plus whatever “privileges” of race, language, class and gender that I can exercise to give my kids an edge over this horde. My kids will not be left behind as Trudeau floods the labour and housing market with desperate, wage-depressing foreign workers and international students.

What was so wrong in Canada in 1990-2000 when my Gen-X brethren were starting good careers and buying affordable homes that Con and Lib governments felt the need to take the next quarter century undoing the affordability and opportunities enjoyed by postwar Canadians? What was broken that so needed fixing by scouring the subcontinent of its most desperate and naive?

Last edited:
The Globe & Mail also had an article about the impact of TFW's on entry level office jobs in Canada:

Temporary foreign workers are no longer a rare presence in entry-level office roles.

Last year, employers were approved to hire more than 3,500 administrative assistants via the Temporary Foreign Worker Program, up from just 112 of those roles approved in 2016, according to figures published by the federal government. In addition, companies were authorized to hire nearly 2,000 administrative officers in 2023. (The TFW program accounts for a small share of foreign labour in Canada, so it’s likely that other pathways are being tapped for admin workers, too.)

--------
Abdullah Balal, a licensed immigration consultant in Oakville, Ont., questioned why employers needed to look outside the country for admin workers. “How is a Canadian company in an urban or semi-urban area not able to find an administrative assistant?”

Mr. Balal said this surge of admin work likely includes cases of fraud, in which temporary residents pay employers for jobs, often so they can stay in the country longer and have a better shot at obtaining permanent residency. The federal government has acknowledged the existence of fraud in the program.

Kerry Molitor, a licensed immigration consultant in St. Catharines, Ont., said that administrative assistant roles are highly desirable for temporary residents because they have a relatively low barrier to entry, but still allow people to qualify for the Express Entry pool of immigration candidates.

“I don’t think there is a labour shortage for admin assistants,” Ms. Molitor said. “Maybe in the more rural areas. But in places like Toronto and Vancouver, I just don’t see it.”

tw.JPG

The Americas | Canada’s rising populist

Canada’s Conservatives are crushing Justin Trudeau​

Pierre Poilievre is even winning over the young and the unionised​

“How is my life better?” demands Kareem Lewis, a 32-year-old Canadian software engineer, after almost a decade of Liberal government. “Real wages are flat. The cost of rent as a proportion of your income has increased,” he says. And forget about buying a house. Fed up, he has moved to New York. Always a Liberal backer, he will vote Conservative in the election due next year. Pierre Poilievre, the Conservative leader, is attracting other unlikely voters, too. He has spent much of the summer in factories from British Columbia to Newfoundland, surrounded by employees in hard hats and safety glasses, to cement his lead among working-class voters.

“How is my life better?” demands Kareem Lewis, a 32-year-old Canadian software engineer, after almost a decade of Liberal government. “Real wages are flat. The cost of rent as a proportion of your income has increased,”

This is something that alot of people don't understand.

Wages are not something under Ottawas control for most people. Justin Trudeau can't simply mandate minimum or maximum Wages.

Furthermore, industry will just increase prices to compensate for higher wages thereby negating any impact the wage increase has.

The only way things would be fixed is if we went full blown communist by setting prices, nationalizing industry and controlling everything. That's not happening unfortunately.

As for rent prices, I've long been an advocate for astronomically high interest rates. Temporarily increase rates to 23% to burst the bubble.

When prices crash and the bottom falls out of the market rents should get better.

When prices crash and the bottom falls out of the market rents should get better.
I think you have causality the wrong way. High rents cause high prices. High prices cause more supply which lowers rents. Low prices means no new supply is brought online (at least, not profitably).

This is something that alot of people don't understand.

Wages are not something under Ottawas control for most people. Justin Trudeau can't simply mandate minimum or maximum Wages.

Furthermore, industry will just increase prices to compensate for higher wages thereby negating any impact the wage increase has.

The only way things would be fixed is if we went full blown communist by setting prices, nationalizing industry and controlling everything. That's not happening unfortunately.

As for rent prices, I've long been an advocate for astronomically high interest rates. Temporarily increase rates to 23% to burst the bubble.

So you don't think massive immigration is a major cause of increased rent? We added 3 million people in this Country in 7 years, that is more then we let in the entire 90's.

So you don't think massive immigration is a major cause of increased rent? We added 3 million people in this Country in 7 years, that is more then we let in the entire 90's.

That's one factor but cheap borrowing is another.

Personally, I'd rather see highly restricted immigration like in the UK or Australia.

My thoughts are like this:

• Severely limit international students to those studying for Masters or PhDs in the national interest.
  • Encourage immigration only for occupations which in there is a verified need
  • Highly restrict visitor entry requiring a visa for all but a select group of citizens
  • Increase interest rates to 20% or above until prices normalize
  • Restrict immigration to the above noted groups only
  • Remove the ability for recent immigrants to sponsor others for a period of at least 5 years after citizenship is obtained
  • Tie immigration to certain areas of Canada which are underdeveloped.
  • Restrict immigration to large urban centres such as Toronto ane Vancouver.
People may think I'm crazy but if the above is done, we will see a noticeable change in both economic factors and quality of life

Back