40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

Nonsubscriber version here https://outline.com/whcV84

Yes, agree with this article, every neighbourhood should carry its share of emergency shelters. But what the city doesn’t understand is that if they were properly managed, most people wouldn’t notice or care. But dumping all the shelter residents onto the street, doing nothing about public defecating and urinating, drug use, drug dealing, littering, begging (when in violation of the SSA or HTA), harassment and sidewalk obstruction drive otherwise good and indifferent people to complain.

The shelter near my office has a program where their clients help in neighbourhood clean up. I think it’s a nice program and a good idea. The amount of trash and mess created in the vicinity is endless.

Your welcome Toronto by the way for the work I put in to deal with a small part of that mess on a weekly basis ; however, I apologize Toronto, I refused to deal with that giant dump someone took on the boulevard hoping the rain would wash it away. It did not.

There's a new homeless shelter in the Junction. The only difference I noticed was that there's slightly more vandalism within a 15 metre radius of it. But if you put in another handful of shelters, there will mostly likely be more serious problems as one can see in the Dundas and Sherbourne area. We now have two shelters. It's time for other neighbourhoods to shoulder some of the burden too.

My point is not that homeless populations ruin an area.

It is the current method of housing them is very flawed.

We need a massive amount of new social housing and I don't think it's in the cards, despite the countless billions that are being thrown left and right these days.

We need a massive amount of new social housing and I don't think it's in the cards, despite the countless billions that are being thrown left and right these days.

We need a totally different housing policy from what we are having right now in this province.

AoD

I dont think we need a lot of new housing

Maybe if we banned alot of the condos owned by black money from overseas.

What is missing from the homeless shelter setup are shelters in the newer subdivisions, sprawling suburbs, or small towns in Ontario. Because of the lack of shelters back "home", people migrate to the older cities that have the facilities and social programs that are missing in the higher income "Shangri-La", isolated from the problems of the big city.

Back