News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

S

spmarshall

In Oakville, Ann Mulvale won by only 12 votes against a pro-environment challenger. This was after a controversial decision to build north of Highway 5 in the Trafalgar Moraine.

In other sprawl/road contests, pro-pipe margaret Black was relected, despite her intentions to pave the Oak Ridges Moraine. Pro-Red Hill Creek Expressway candidate Larry Di Ianni was barely winning in Hamilton.

The highest profile defeat was in Oshawa, where Mayor Nancy Diamond was defeated.

In Brampton, Susan Fennell, the most progessive mayor in Brampton in years (which isn't saying that much, it's still a conservative suburb) has been relected.

And the most exciting race was that in Mississauga, where Hazel speaked by with only 92% of the vote. We all know there's only one way she's leaving office.... Why doesn't anyone have the guts to run against her?

Anyone else with news or views from the 905?

Honestly, what's with Mississauga? Is there no one is that city of 600,000 that can challenge her?

ganja:

Everyone is waiting for the inevitable demise of Hazel before running seriously.

GB

Not any different than Mel's reign in North York. He didn't have a serious challenger for many elections as mayor because times were good and people liked him. Same goes for Hazel.

I liked the City coverage of Mississauga. Not even 11pm and there's the City reporter in an empty hall in Mississauga. "Well, everyone's gone home already." I mean, all the other places they had reporters in Toronto had parties going on, even those who didn't win. Really is a bedroom community, eh?

I guess it was past Hazel's bedtime.

People don't know any better than to not vote for her. Or maybe they figure she's done a good job of managing growth (rightly or wrongly so), so why not let her keep doing her job as long as she's mentally and somewhat physically capable of doing so?

Then again I'd be inclined to vote for a 90 year old who took on an 18 wheeler and won. That's one tough S.O.B.

Uh oh, did I just unwittingly set up a comment from those who wish the truck HAD won?...

It wasn't quite an 18-wheeler that hit McCallion, it was a slow moving light truck that turning a corner without regard to pedestrians. Hazel wasn't badly hurt, and there's one less ignorant driver on the road.

I hear the truck was out of commission longer than Hazel was.

:b

It's a suburb - as long as taxes are low and you can buy a fairly nice house for a cheap price she'll keep getting elected.

it was a slow moving light truck that turning a corner without regard to pedestrians.

Someone driving without regard to pedestrians? In Mississagua? I'm shocked, SHOCKED to find that going on!

There are pedestrians in Missisagua?

It was downtown Streetsville. Otherwise I would have been really shocked myself.

And then there's Richmond Hill. It was one of the few places that remained PC in the provincial election even though that party wanted to pave the moraine, and then it re-elected a pro development mayor. It seems as though everyone wants to protect the moraine except the people who live there.

I think that it's sad that so many people were re-elected across the GTA. We really need new leadership.

Back