News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

People need a leader who can share their pain. An 'average Joe" and someone who is not from the business or banking class. This is why so many Miller supporters will vote for Paul 'Canada Steam Ship Lines" Martin: a billionaire industrial capitalist that shares the same concerns as the average Canadian.

Are Be, you're the greatest. lmao

Well...no kidding nobody would have a problem with it, because there are hundreds of garbage trucks on the highway to Michigan. Just as Miller did say that he would consider imposing road tolls. These are true statements. The difference is, there are not jets at the island airport now, and the other candidates have publicly said that there will not be jets there in the future.

I meant hundreds at a time...like an ad with a distant shot of an entire highway filled with garbage trucks. This obviously wouldn't be true, would it (I should have explained my ad example in more detail).

Miller wasn't saying what he was for, he was implying what the other candidates were for...a position which just isn't true. The bottom line is that Tory is getting pilloried for simply repeating something that Miller did say, but when Miller runs an ad implying that the other candidates are lying, nobody bats an eyelash.

The other candidates are for the island airport and bridge! This isn't something he's making up...it's something they've stated several times. In Tory's case, it's not that he's "simply repeating something that Miller did say".

Also, candidates make personal attacks all the time...if you think it's a particularly childish personal attack then fine (I tend to see it as more humourous than otherwise), but candidates make statements about other candidates' positions on various issues constantly...as you said, what else is the point of a campaign? All of the candidates publicly criticized Miller's toll plan, but when Tory made a website out of it, suddenly it's some sort of underhanded personal attack? It's not like he tried to hide the fact that the website came from his camp...it says right at the bottom 'This site authorized by the John Tory For Mayor Campaign'.

Well, if you have a problem with Miller using material that show's something that is plausible (if exagerrated, as much campaign advertising is), then you must have a problem with Tory putting out material that shows his opponent dressed as a theif, something totally untrue?

I can accept that you think it's a childish website. That's a matter of personal opinion, and you're entitled to your opinion. But for people to say that it's sleazy or shows a lack of ethics is ridiculous.

I thought it was funny...but yes, it was lacking in class.

Well, if you have a problem with Miller using material that show's something that is plausible (if exagerrated, as much campaign advertising is), then you must have a problem with Tory putting out material that shows his opponent dressed as a theif, something totally untrue?

Actually I don't even have a problem with the Miller ad...as I mentioned, I do think that it's an effective ad and got his point across. I also don't have a problem with the Tory website. They both exaggerate to get their point across, but that's fine with me. Nobody's expecting a fleet of 737's to descend on the island airport at once, just like no one really thinks Miller is some kind of zorro-like robber figure.

What I have a problem with is people who point to the Tory website as evidence that he's some sort of underhanded sleaze, while ignoring the fact that Miller has done something fairly similar...it's just the hypocrisy I'm sort of annoyed at, not the ads themselves.

It would be cool if Miller did have some secret, zorro-like double life though, wouldn't it? That would probably make me more likely to vote for him... ;)

Actually I don't even have a problem with the Miller ad...as I mentioned, I do think that it's an effective ad and got his point across. I also don't have a problem with the Tory website. They both exaggerate to get their point across, but that's fine with me. Nobody's expecting a fleet of 737's to descend on the island airport at once, just like no one really thinks Miller is some kind of zorro-like robber figure.

What I have a problem with is people who point to the Tory website as evidence that he's some sort of underhanded sleaze, while ignoring the fact that Miller has done something fairly similar...it's just the hypocrisy I'm sort of annoyed at, not the ads themselves.

I guess the point is...there is a fine line between acceptable and unacceptable in politics. Miller's ad didn't personally attack anyone - it was a visual representation to give an idea of the negative impacts of the island airport.

Tory's site used an image of Miller to flat out call him a theif. If he had just had some interesting images of a huge line up of cars being tolled or something else, then their wouldn't have been any problem. But he crossed the thin line by personally portraying Tory as a theif.

Big difference between the two.

If Miller had a secret life as Zorro...well who knows what that would have done lol :b

Back