News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Interesting chart in Economist today:

"Our system relies on satellites that circle over Ukraine twice a day and use thermal imaging to detect high-temperature events in places unobscured by clouds. We use a machine-learning system to estimate whether these events are related to the war, by comparing patterns with what was observed before Russia’s full-scale invasion in 2022. It is far from perfect, but it offers a consistent and neutral guide to probable military activity in the country.

Examining the data from June 4th and 5th, the model identified war-related fires at several points along the frontline. Most of these fires were concentrated around the cities of Zaporizhia (Ukrainian-held) and Donetsk (Russian-held), where there were reports of significant escalation in the night between June 4th and 5th. Russian forces claim to have repelled most of the attacks.

fires.jpg

SBIRS is the GOAT. Not many people understand the value of that system. Especially beyond its original missile warning mandate. And nobody has the persistent coverage of a system like that.

One of the interesting aspects of this conflict is people finally understanding what kind of equipment their tax dollars pay for (mostly American tax dollars) and why that matters. I'm still waiting for regular Joes to figure out hyperspectral imaging and coherent change detection and all the other cool stuff advanced sensors combined with image processing can do.

SBIRS is the GOAT. Not many people understand the value of that system. Especially beyond its original missile warning mandate. And nobody has the persistent coverage of a system like that.

One of the interesting aspects of this conflict is people finally understanding what kind of equipment their tax dollars pay for (mostly American tax dollars) and why that matters. I'm still waiting for regular Joes to figure out hyperspectral imaging and coherent change detection and all the other cool stuff advanced sensors combined with image processing can do.

The next-gen system would be even more amazing:

As to hyperspectral imaging - my understanding is it will be delivered by commercial space:

What's really needed is constellations - fast revisits, survivability, etc.

AoD

Last edited:
People freak about nukes that take out a few city blocks. I was more worried about something like this:

More damage than any nuke ever would. And it was definitely planned:

No one should be surprised by this - it's been mentioned as a possible move for ages. Thankfully the number of people downstream appears relatively small.

AoD

No one should be surprised by this - it's been mentioned as a possible move for ages. Thankfully the number of people downstream appears relatively small.

AoD

There don't appear, as yet, to be any civilian casualties; though I imagine some will be expected; but there are implications for drinking water availability, the loss of the on site power plant as well, which may impair livability over a large area.

A secondary concern maybe the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant which relies, in part on the reservoir for cooling. There is no immediate risk, and the plant does have an adjacent cooling pond which is good for at least several months; but were that inadequate in the longer term; shutting down the largest nuclear plant in Europe has no small implications.

AoD
Yeah, as awful as it is, I'm sure it's been included in "what if" calculations for a long time. Nobody should be surprised that Russia did this. It's just another typically cruel example of them lashing out like a frustrated toddler on a large scale over their failed invasion. Can't wait to see these orcs increasingly suffer in the coming months.

AoD

True. To be expected. But still sucks when it happens. Damage to property. Loss of human and animal life. Some challenges to Ukraine militarily.

True. To be expected. But still sucks when it happens. Damage to property. Loss of human and animal life. Some challenges to Ukraine militarily.
Perhaps, but I doubt the main thrust of the counter offensive would have involved a mass crossing of the Dnipro.

Perhaps, but I doubt the main thrust of the counter offensive would have involved a mass crossing of the Dnipro.

The shortest path to the best road into Crimea is across the river. It may not have been the main effort. But it probably would have been one of the axes....

Back