It's the engineered hardwood and is brown.

The sample they showed me when I purchased the upgraded flooring was in perfect condition. What I have now is garbage. Really expensive garbage.

That sucks...can't believe it's ruined in such a short space of time. Is there a particular reason why you opted for the engineered hardwood? The laminate options weren't bad.

Quick question folks:

It seems the upgraded floor are still not satisfied. If I pick the standard package initially for the floor and decide to get a future upgrade arranged by myself...will this need to get approved by the condo management? If so why, this is not structural correct?

Much appreciated if anybody has such experience and can share here? I always try to get upgrade with the builder to avoid hassle from future construction..but if it is worthwhile probably will consider in future..

Quick question folks:

It seems the upgraded floor are still not satisfied. If I pick the standard package initially for the floor and decide to get a future upgrade arranged by myself...will this need to get approved by the condo management? If so why, this is not structural correct?

Much appreciated if anybody has such experience and can share here? I always try to get upgrade with the builder to avoid hassle from future construction..but if it is worthwhile probably will consider in future..

yes you will need condo board approval ... something about noise transmission, etc.
you will have to satisfy them that it's not too noisy.

It's the engineered hardwood and is brown.

The sample they showed me when I purchased the upgraded flooring was in perfect condition. What I have now is garbage. Really expensive garbage.

Yeah, it sucks. I can't remember if I told Kyle or not, because what's the point?

I had the President of the floor company in to look at some gaps and he blamed everything on humidity levels (including peeling and surface damage). This past weekend, I set up my humidifiers and am at 40%, so if the floors continue sucking, I've proven him full of shit.

Yesterday, carpeting was installed in the lobby and elevators. Like any place, it looks better without the carepting, but it will do a good job of controlling dirt and slush in the winter.

It is amazing how many people - I was one of them - get snookered by engineered hardwood flooring. Laminate is much more durable and frankly, it looks better. Prefinished hardwood has many strikes against it: the finish is so perfect that even minor nicks and scratches stick out like a sore thumb. Then there is the stability issue. Prefinished hardwood is not prefinished on its inner edges, and as the boards contract during periods of low humidity, the unfinished wood shows through. Not very pretty.

REAL hardwood, finished in situ or laminate - these are the best choices.

It is amazing how many people - I was one of them - get snookered by engineered hardwood flooring. Laminate is much more durable and frankly, it looks better. Prefinished hardwood has many strikes against it: the finish is so perfect that even minor nicks and scratches stick out like a sore thumb. Then there is the stability issue. Prefinished hardwood is not prefinished on its inner edges, and as the boards contract during periods of low humidity, the unfinished wood shows through. Not very pretty.

REAL hardwood, finished in situ or laminate - these are the best choices.

The standard laminate in my unit is nothing special. Except for the durability, there is nothing good to say about laminate. It's cheap and spongy when walking on it.

The standard laminate in my unit is nothing special. Except for the durability, there is nothing good to say about laminate. It's cheap and spongy when walking on it.

Could be badly installed - cheap underpad. Could also be cheaper laminate. Torlys or something similar is the way to go.

If laminate is worse than engineered hardwood, why is engineered hardwood more expensive?

So Roseanne told me that guests stole ornaments off the Christmas tree in the party room. And the cleaning staff told me that they were cleaning up a huge mess afterwards.

Shit like this pisses me off and if myself or my partner get on the board, we will impose a zero-tolerance strategy to deal with these kind of incidents.

I am already going to recommend to Roseanne that she implement a deposit system for use of the party and theatre rooms. If not, she should at least drop the hammer on whoever rented the room last and make them responsible.

There usually is a security deposit for the use of party rooms, overnight suites and such isn't there?

So Roseanne told me that guests stole ornaments off the Christmas tree in the party room. And the cleaning staff told me that they were cleaning up a huge mess afterwards.

Shit like this pisses me off and if myself or my partner get on the board, we will impose a zero-tolerance strategy to deal with these kind of incidents.

I am already going to recommend to Roseanne that she implement a deposit system for use of the party and theatre rooms. If not, she should at least drop the hammer on whoever rented the room last and make them responsible.

Really? That's pretty crappy to hear. And yes, I agree with the deposit system.

You are suprised? I guess that's why many condo's are installing camera's in the common areas. This is the reason I am for added security rather than letting people roam the areas unmonitored.

Good luck on getting a board position. The builder gets a vote for every unit unsold in their inventory. They usually have enough votes to get their people elected to the board in the first year.

You are suprised? I guess that's why many condo's are installing camera's in the common areas. This is the reason I am for added security rather than letting people roam the areas unmonitored.

Good luck on getting a board position. The builder gets a vote for every unit unsold in their inventory. They usually have enough votes to get their people elected to the board in the first year.

I think the builder is running himself, which should not be allowed at all.

I think the builder is running himself, which should not be allowed at all.

They will have enough votes to win....and appoint someone from their organization. This way they get to control costs for the 1st year cause they have a vested interest with all the units still in inventory.

On another note, stopped by my unit today and saw the winter carpeting in the parking garage and lobby. Much nicer than the building I am currently living....however the carpet in the parking garage gives off an awful smell!

This building turned out much better than I ever imagined, hopefully it gets registered by January 2011.

Back