It is not your problem that the trades they hire don't show up. They should hire better workers, and follow-up on issues instead of ignoring them. Even in the short history of 500 Sherbourne, there is a definite pattern of the builder and management ignoring problems and complaints, and that's not acceptable.
Did you submit these items on your 30 day form? They have ~120 days to fix them, after which time you can contact Tarion. I really hope you will complain to Tarion regarding their absence of attention to the deficiencies in your suite.

Klaus has my vote. Will he appear as Klaus something on the ballet, or is that a nickname?
Is anybody else going to run? The more spots on the board that aren't occupied by the builder the better.

Re window coverings: does anybody have an update? Has anybody agreed to pay? Or said they could remove them? If so, have they come in to take them away? I was looking at the outside of the building when I was coming home today and it seems like everybody still has the same window coverings.
I am personally looking forward to getting rid of these hideous coverings and choosing something more to my taste, and not to that of an esthetically challenged human. They have not yet responded to my communication.

It's taking forever to fix things ON the PDI list. Trades seem to take months to show up.

I bought three new condos from 1996-2003 and all three developers were the same at addressing deficiencies, very slow. This doesn't seem unique at all but it still sucks.

Klaus has my vote. Will he appear as Klaus something on the ballet, or is that a nickname?
Is anybody else going to run? The more spots on the board that aren't occupied by the builder the better.

My nickname here is Klaus. On the ballot I will be Manfred.

Last edited:
Regarding the blinds- my lawyer sent the developer a letter saying that the blinds is part of the building structure. Entering the unit without my written permission in the attempt to remove the blinds will be considered trespassing.

I have been following loosely this thread and about the issue of the blinds.

In the National Post today, there is an article that should be of interest to you in the Post Homes section.

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/Sherbourne+identity/4266418/story.html

Strip clubs, bed bugs, and homelessness loom over Sherbourne Street. Of all locations in Toronto to build a sleek, mostly glass condo complex, Sherbourne is certainly not a dream locale for most real estate developers — but the visionaries at Times Group Corp. have embraced the challenge. Their newest architectural punctuation mark, The 500 Condos & Lofts (where Wellesley Central Hospital was) has already begun transforming the area, making its sordid reputation a thing of the past.

“We are bringing new energy to Bloor’s east end,” says Saeid B. Aghaei, a principal manager of the Times Group. “During the past two years of building, the whole landscape has changed.”

Mr. Aghaei says the condo towers have attracted new businesses to the area, as well as young professionals and their families. “Sherbourne [has evolved] in terms of high-end residential spaces,” he enthuses. “People forget how close it is to everything — the downtown business core, the entertainment district, U of T, Ryerson — even the National Ballet.”

The 500 greets Torontonians with a combo of luxurious living and affordability. (Suites are 837 square feet to 1,360 sq. ft., and $390,000 to $668,000.) From the entrance, the lobby is a gateway of elegance and style. Here, 25-foot ceilings feature walnut wood panels, linen-embossed tiles, and an 18-ft. cascading water wall. It’s a haven from the city bustle.

“The total effect is warmth,” says Renato Iamonaco, an interior designer with Times and consultant with Sector Designs. “It’s like you’ve arrived home.” (A home with a concierge service available to tenants 24 hours a day.)

Tucked around the corner, is the private residents’ 500 Lounge with a gas fireplace, bar and dining room. But owners will probably prefer to host friends on the fifth-floor rooftop garden, with its spectacular city views, a second water wall and dramatic fireplace. Outfitted with contemporary furniture, the rooftop’s ambiance is neutral enough to be transformed into a club-like setting by candlelight or function as a place for a family barbecue (several gas barbecues are available to tenants).

Architect Paul Northgrave prioritized social spaces, constructing the entire complex to function as more of a community than a series of austere condo units. Of course, there’s the requisite state-of-the-art gym, a yoga and aerobics studio, his-and-hers steamrooms, a giant home theatre with large-screen TV and surround-sound, conference rooms, and best of all — a billiards room.

Mr. Iamonaco highlights this room as one of his favourites: “We used a graphic wallpaper imported from Belgium,” he says, “And a kind of contemporary disco light.” Floor coverings in the games room also feature carpet tiles with a graphic print. It’s this interplay between old and new that, he says, makes the place feel dynamic.

But Mr. Iamonaco is most proud of the diversity of design between common rooms. “I didn’t want tenants to feel like they were in the same building wherever they went,” he explains. “So I built distinct aesthetics in each social place.”

The movie theatre, for example, cocoons its audience with dark wood panels embossed with a pattern of fallen twigs. Coated with a high-gloss chocolate brown paint, the room is virtually black. With 3-D TV and a user-friendly interface, Mr. Iamonaco says it’s one of the only rooms that remains completely booked. It’s perfect for an evening of Disney or the Friday night UFC fight.

As for the suites, Mr. Iamonaco describes them as “contemporary with a classic feel.” Showcasing views of the Rosedale Valley, Lake Ontario and the CN Tower, each suite’s standard features include smooth ceilings, stainless steel appliances, and granite or quartz countertops. [B]Purchasers also receive window coverings for no extra charge, [/B]saving potentially upwards of $10,000 depending on size. However, even the smaller units seem larger because of the nine-, 10 or sometimes 11-ft. ceiling heights.

A feature of the streamlined kitchens — some open with optional island and others more conventionally L-shaped — is the use of flat-panelled, melamine cabinetry. Mr. Iamonaco insists this material is the most practical on the market in terms of cleanliness and maintenance. “Melamine has come a long way from even two years ago, in the same way that laminate flooring no longer appears as fake as it did when it first appeared on the market,” he says. “Melamine can match a piece of wood down to the actual grain pattern.” Most condo owners opt for an espresso stain, but a lighter oak hue is also available, with options to upgrade.

But more impressive than The 500 Condos’ interior design is its attention to the needs and philosophical ideals of inner city tenants. The foresight to include lots of bike storage lockers, for example, and the desire to design with eco-friendly planning should be a model for future condo developers. The installation of individual electric meters, the use of low-emission carpets and paints, low-flow chrome bath and shower faucets and energy-efficient thermal window systems are easy on the wallet and the environment. The structure also makes garbage sorting a breeze with a separate recyclable waste disposal system.

While pondering one’s relation to the environment, take a stroll through the neighbouring park where a one-acre formation of fruit trees marks the spot of a once-flourishing orchard. With a home as conveniently located as The 500, you may never actually ever have to drive a car again.

I HAVE BOLDED THE INTERESTING PART. THERE MAY BE MORE BUT GIVEN WHAT HAS BEEN WRITTEN ON THIS THREAD, MAYBE THE BUILDER HAS HOPEFULLY REALIZED THE ERROR IN CHARGING FOR STUFF PUT IN WHICH I BELIEVE WOULD BE CONSIDERED FIXTURES.

KLAUS: Thank you for clearing up the ballot name, now we can be sure who to vote for.

Agu: that makes sense.

interested: Thank you very much for posting that information. Very interesting!! I really really encourage anybody who has some spare time today or tomorrow to contact the National Post and inform them of the major inaccuracy in the article regarding the window coverings. Perhaps if enough people do this they will print a retraction and expose the unethical behaviour of Time Group to a major audience.

smooth ceilings are standard? Mine are popcorn.

Maybe they were just parapharsing .... "smooth ceiling are standard (in the loft suite)" :rolleyes:

I have smooth ceilings in my unit. I bought the showroom suite.

The way in which the article heaps praise on the builder for changing the area is amusing. We have Verve beside us and James Cooper Mansion just up the street - I think they affected the attractiveness of the area, as well as the City Planners concept for the area.

The Builder should be the one to retract the obviously incorrect statement that they allowed to be printed in the paper - LOL.

Please Remind Us!

My nickname here is Klaus. On the ballot I will be Manfred.

Klaus
Please remind us shortly before the Turnover meeting as I know that I for one will forget your real name by then unless I get a reminder.

My unit has smooth ceilings in kitchen, bathrooms and hallway but not the rest. Which is unfortunate. I don't know why they couldn't do all of it the same or at least offer that as an upgrade.

Does anyone know when the final inspection of building is or was and when they have to repair or finish things?

Does it bother anybody else that the front steps on Sherbourne entrance were very poorly done?
Not to mention that water collects on them and when it freezes is a perfect case of negligence and lawsuit agains the building.

I think we should all email jennie at times group linking the national post article. So far I haven't heard anything else about the window coverings. Anyone else heard anything?

Here is a draft email I was thinking of sending. (Feel free to cut and paste and send to Jennie)

Hi Jennie,

I just read this in the National Post today that the window coverings are included in the purchase price for 500 Sherboune Condos. So why are you trying to charge us for window coverings that Mr. Saeid B. Aghaei and Mr. Renato Iamonaco quote in Friday's national post as saying being included in the purchase price?

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/Sherbourne+identity/4266418/story.html

I hope this puts to rest any amounts owing as it is obvious the window coverings were included in the purchase price.

Also maybe I missed it but when is the turnover meeting? I will vote for you Klaus!

I also have popcorn ceilings (except for the kitchen and bathroom). Don't like them.

No clue when the final inspection of the building is/was. Am also bothered by the pool (or ice rink) of water on the front steps.

littlemonkey: like your idea of emailing Jennie, thanks for the template. Haven't heard anything further about the window coverings.
The turnover meeting is in March, there is a notice posted in the elevators. I wish they send information like that out to the email list they have in use.

Does it bother anybody else that the front steps on Sherbourne entrance were very poorly done?
Not to mention that water collects on them and when it freezes is a perfect case of negligence and lawsuit agains the building.

Hopefully this turns up in the common element inspection report. If it doesn't, let's see if we can add it. If they claim it was damaged after it was built, I think we have pictures in this thread proving otherwise.

Klaus (Manfred) has my vote :)

When the Board hires a firm to do the Performance Audit things like the front stairs will be listed, they are incredibly thorough.

Back