It seems to me, from the lack of comments on this thread, that there is a lack of interest in our building which is not a good thing.

I am out of the country but can provide a couple of updates:

- We have asked for one more bid for the Performance Review and Reserve Fund Study. After studying the 4 we received, we have decided to ask one more company. These bids are over twice as expensive as budgeted for in the 1st year budget by our Times Group friends... however, first year budgets are a joke, in every new condo in the city, so nothing newsworthy there.

- The intercom parts were not in stock and had to be ordered. Delivery is taking a long time.

- We are in talks with Times Group regarding the sad state of the terrace.

I'm pretty sure only a tiny portion of all 500 Sherbourne residents are actually on this board.

I wasn't aware that his forum was only for the board. I thought it was a place for residents to continue to share information and concerns of our building.

"board" in this case means Electronic Bulletin Board System, not condo board. Everyone is welcome to participate here, but many may not know about this location in cyberspace.

Yeah, I should have been clearer. I meant this discussion forum when I said "board."

I'm extrapolating from my experience handing out flyers re. the blinds issue, asking owners to join this forum to discuss the blinds problem. I covered 4 floors and no one knew about this forum.

Should we post an ad on the bulletin board to let people know of this medium for open discussion?

Did you get a letter from the "Municipal Property Assessment Corporation" demanding information about your condo? Like the price you paid, and its features. Is this legitimate? It seems pretty fishy to me.

Did you get a letter from the "Municipal Property Assessment Corporation" demanding information about your condo? Like the price you paid, and its features. Is this legitimate? It seems pretty fishy to me.

MPAC assess our properties for tax purposes. The survey looks like pre-screening for an on-site assessment. Seems legit to me. If you look on the top right corner, they already have the purchase price on file.

Yeah, I should have been clearer. I meant this discussion forum when I said "board."

I'm extrapolating from my experience handing out flyers re. the blinds issue, asking owners to join this forum to discuss the blinds problem. I covered 4 floors and no one knew about this forum.

Should we post an ad on the bulletin board to let people know of this medium for open discussion?

I think that would be a great idea. Not many know about it, I have been following since the construction forum and then the real estate discussion and then this one. Had to do a search to find it.

I would like to state that Roseanne is very rude and condescending. Every time I ask her a simple question, instead of giving me a straight up simple answer, she berates me, puts me down, threatens me, threatens to fire the staff ie. superint., etc., tells me that no one around here knows anything except her. I find this absolutely ridiculous. I don't need this kind of treatment from her in my place of residence where it should be a happy, relaxing place to live. I couldn't sleep last night because of her attitude. She works for us and not the other way around. The only person that should be fired is her! She clearly doesn't know what is covered in our maintenance fees. Would someone please inform her? Just because she claims that she has worked in other condos for years doesn't mean that she knows what's going on here. It's obvious that she doesn't. I wish to speak to the condo board members about this or whoever pays her cheques. Does anybody know this information for me?

Property tax

We recently receive 3 bills. One is for the original assessment for 2 years which adds up to $3800+ & another 2 "supplement/omit" came in last night which adds up to another $2,000+,

Our occupancy was May 2010 & closing was in April 2011, so why am I billed for 2010? Shouldn't the "rent" we paid during the interim occupancy cover the tax? Also, when we moved in, it wasn't even completed!

Another issue I have is with the electrical wiring. It's so super frustrating. Each time I turn on the vacumm cleaner in either of the 2 bedrooms (without other electrical appliance on) it trips! When we asked Kyle (when he was still the go to PDI guy) he said it's meant to be this way. The bedrooms take very small load. That is a bunch of BS. U can't tell me the outlet can't even take a small vacumm cleaner? How the heck do you expect me to clean the apartment?! & really? If my husband in ironing his shirt in the master bedroom, I can't "iron" my hair too?

When I got home yesterday, the microwave clock was off & the oven clock was blinking. That means that the power some how got cut off or something.

Now that the Tarion warranty is over, what recourse do I have? I don't want to go back to a burnt down unit! Worse I don't want my pet to be hurt in anyway.

Last edited:
Several points to review - I am not an expert re: this, just giving what I hope is an informed opinion.

I got the tax bills too. They are for the period of interim occupancy. It was in your sales agreement. The phantom mortgage (rent) does not pay that.

The bedrooms are wired to code. There is a 15 Amp service. The problem with hair dryers, vacuums, curling irons and the like is that they draw a lot of amperage. If you go over 15 Amps on the circuit, the breaker trips. This is all done to the electrical code.

It does not sound like a lot of usage, but I can have my 3 computers, two monitors, stereo, printer, overhead light, gaming laptop and other sundry equipment on at the same time. They draw less than 15 Amps.

I have tripped my circuits by plugging in a small Samsung canister vacuum. My baby vacuum takes 10 Amps, so that means if there is more than 5 Amps load on the circuit already, the breaker will trip. Larger vacuums will probably take more Amps than mine. If you have a large upright one, it's almost a guarantee it's very close to 15 Amps. General rule of thumb, anything with a motor uses a lot of Amps.

The GFI outlets in your kitchen and bathroom are on a separate circuit and will be better to use for those devices like vacuums, hair dryers etc. This is also the reason that the fridge has it's own circuit. There's also an outlet off of the stove that you can use without worrying about tripping the main circuits. I have a outdoor-rated extension cord that makes this easy to do. It also lets me run around further with the vacuum before I need to find the next outlet to jump to.

The power did go off yesterday in the building for what looks like a very brief period. That happens on rare occasions. If you have sensitive electrical equipment or equipment that must stay running, you may want to consider a battery backup.

Your Tarion warranty is not over. The unit is still covered. The coverage changes after the first year of occupancy, but you are still covered for defects in workmanship. Read the warranty brochures, it explains it.

Hope this helps.

SweetSuite

Shelfun,

when the performance audit will be done (soon), the auditor will hand out questionnaires to all residents. Major problems like your wiring will definitely have to be addressed. What Kyle told you is BS; there seems to be a wiring problem in your unit.
As for the taxes, I also received a tax bill for 2010 when I paid rent. I will look up the calculation for the rental amount from Time's lawyer DelZotto. the "rent" is completely broken down in his statement. I am out of the city, otherwise I would have looked up my statement and I could give you better advise. I will be back on Tuesday though.

AKoko,
the right way to handle this problem is to write directly to the board (attention John Dorion, President) and ask for a meeting with the board. I definitely will support your request. Roseanne is not employed with the condo corporation, but with the management company who in the end will have to deal with your complaint. Please let me know how you want to proceed.

Back