News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
From the lobbyist registry, we learn this huge block is in play.

The parcel includes the above noted 53-75 Jarvis, and 207-233 Adelaide Street East.

Based on TO Maps illustration of lot lines, this also touches on King.

1659532565244.png

* I'm aware the lot line goes through the roof of one building which makes no sense, don't look at me, I know how to colour between the lines! LOL

Apparent site size: ~ 5400m2 /58000ft2

* the compromised roof line is King George Square condos, which I will take the liberty of assuming is not on the table here, so I will illustrate the site excluding that building:

1659532960744.png

Likely site size: ~3900m2/42000ft2

Street view of the majority of the properties from the corner of Adelaide and Jarvis:

1659532768170.png

Heritage Status: 53-63 Jarvis are designated, the remaining Jarvis frontage is only listed, the Adelaide fronting properties to the east are neither listed nor designated; though the entire site falls
within a Heritage Conservation District.

Comments: Like anyone here, I would greatly value the heritage, particularly the Jarvis frontage and would not want to see any of it harmed.

A look at the site overhead suggests very real limitations for development here if the heritage is to remain unmolested. While the over head view shows a parking area which might be theoretically repurposable, separation distances from King George Square condos would leave it largely off limits in respect of any tower form.

Empty Area:

1659533778911.png

Note that the area in question, and the building wrapping it are a Toronto Hydro property that is/was used as a substation or the like.

If you draw a 25M line from King George Square Condos going north, you are left with only 15M to Adelaide. That's exceedingly tight. It could certainly be built on, but it would be very unconventional.

1659533586511.png

The white line above shows a distance of 25M parallel to the top of the podium of King George Square. (there's a bit more play in there from higher up; and separation need not be as high at lower levels. That said, KGS setbacks are not large, and one only picks up a 1-2M as you rise.

I wonder what's being examined here?

There was talk a few years ago of Toronto Hydro redeveloping their property to allow a George Brown residence to be built ON TOP OF IT. It is VERY unlikely that they can move the transformer station (interestingly still called the Duke St Transformer Station, though Duke Street has not existed since the 1950s when it was re-formed into a new Adelaide St.)

I could see a huge tower going up here keeping the historical facades of these old Victorian buildings lol!

I'd love to see that little traffic island removed and a larger sidewalk and patio space for a corner resto established.
This has been a priority for the local BIA and the St Lawrence Neighbourhood Association for ages. Transportation actually agreed to it a while ago and it may be done when that section of Adelaide gets a new water main and the bike track gets moved. (2023) Write to the Councillor!

Acting Councillor!
No, Robin Buxton-Potts was appointed Councillor. Here is the official statement.

"The City Clerk declared Robin Buxton Potts appointed to the Office of Councillor for Ward 13, Toronto Centre, for the remainder of this term of Council."

Back