I am in, I don't have pics but I can tell you that I am furious with the condition of my Unit, it is embarrassing. For your sake I hope that they take more care in preparing the higher up units. I have a list of about 30 deficiencies I have sent to Freed. I could go on and on here about it but I'll leave it at that. I wouldn't buy a Freed condo again.

Rosto - I'd be interested in seeing that list of deficiencies, if only for comparison sake during my PDI. Sorry to hear things aren't up to snuff...

Regarding to the PDI, they did not correct anything that I noted in the PDI...I am wondering what the purpose of the PDI was.

Honestly I'm just tired of dealing with it. If you want to start by listing your PDI list I'll tell you my thoughts.

Rosto - I'd be interested in seeing that list of deficiencies, if only for comparison sake during my PDI. Sorry to hear things aren't up to snuff...

Ditto. I've never done a PDI or anything like that so I'm deathly paranoid of getting hosed.

I am in Mike, I don't have pics but I can tell you that I am furious with the condition of my Unit, it is embarrassing. For your sake I hope that they take more care in preparing the higher up units. I have a list of about 30 deficiencies I have sent to Freed. I could go on and on here about it but I'll leave it at that. I wouldn't buy a Freed condo again.

Ouch, sorry to hear that. My PDI is just 2 weeks away. What issues did you have? I would love to hear them so I can be sure to double check those items in my unit as well. Thanks in advance!

Anyone who has already moved in have tips for us who are about to do our PDI? Anything specific we should double check?

You don't have time to catch everything on the PDI as they only give you like an hour in there so don't worry about that, they will have to fix almost everything after you move in from what I understand. I doubt all of the units will look as poor as mine does as they almost certainly rushed their asses to get the first units done so they could start collecting my occupancy fee. To give you and example of one of my complaints, half my condo is freezing as the heat doesn't distribute to the 1st floor (i have a two floor unit). I didn't expect to have to wear a blanket the whole time on the first floor to stay warm. This is due to very poor design of the A/C system rather than shotty workmanship/careless installation which most of the problems are, although there are a bunch that are due to absurdly stupid design.

also my floors are horribly scratched, sink needs to be replace, glue and paint all over, needs repaint, several doors are malfunctioning, stove and oven didn't work, dishwasher leaking...caulking, counter scratched or glue or paint, concrete ceilings have writing on them, plaster and paint on them, writing on walls....damaged cabinetry in kitchen....it goes on and on. My favourite is that I can barely fit under my rainhead upgrade and it blocks the regular showerhead...the no handles on any of the doors was also a brilliant idea.

Last edited:
First off, in a PDI, take as much time as you want and go over everything with a fine toothed comb. I recently went with a friend to her PDI at 1 Cole and Daniels pulled some bullshit number of 1 hour out of thin air and then tried to say that's what Tarion says for anything under 1000 sq ft. I tried to find that on Tarion and asked them to show me where it says that and they couldn't. On a 730 sq foot place, we were thorough and spent 4 hours. Be firm. What are they going to do? Get security to kick you out? This is your largest investment ever, don't let them rush you. Also, bring along somebody else to help you. I've even thought myself about using my spare time and becoming a PDI Inspector as a 2nd job!

Last edited:
You don't have time to catch everything on the PDI as they only give you like an hour in there so don't worry about that, they will have to fix almost everything after you move in from what I understand. I doubt all of the units will look as poor as mine does as they almost certainly rushed their asses to get the first units done so they could start collecting my occupancy fee. To give you and example of one of my complaints, half my condo is freezing as the heat doesn't distribute to the 1st floor (i have a two floor unit). I didn't expect to have to wear a blanket the whole time on the first floor to stay warm. This is due to very poor design of the A/C system rather than shotty workmanship/careless installation which most of the problems are, although there are a bunch that are due to absurdly stupid design.

also my floors are horribly scratched, sink needs to be replace, glue and paint all over, needs repaint, several doors are malfunctioning, stove and oven didn't work, dishwasher leaking...caulking, counter scratched or glue or paint, concrete ceilings have writing on them, plaster and paint on them, writing on walls....damaged cabinetry in kitchen....it goes on and on. My favourite is that I can barely fit under my rainhead upgrade and it blocks the regular showerhead...the no handles on any of the doors was also a brilliant idea.

Wow, that's awful. Builders are really cutting some serious corners... It's nothing but a cash grab.

Ka1

It is my understasnding that, according to City of Toronto regulations, for a builder to ask you to occupy a unit, it must be habitable. Heating/air conditioning and plumbing should be working. Perhaps, stove and oven should also be working. Perhaps you might wish to contact City of Toronto housing standards section (or some other section with similar responsibilities) to confirm this and then pick up the matter with Freed and/or Tarion. You might be entitled to a rebate on your occupancy fees -- either in part or in full.

Every Saturday, in the Condo section of The Star, a lawyer expert in condominium law, answers readers questions about various matters related to the condominium problems. Perhaps, you might also wish to ask him a question about the builder having asked you to occupy the unit with heating not working properly.

My sincere sympathies.

Anyone who has already moved in have tips for us who are about to do our PDI? Anything specific we should double check?

A few tips:
- Record everything you could not see (behind appliances, etc.) as not reviewed.
- Record everything which is dirty or obscuring scratches/stains as not reviewed.
- When you take occupancy take a day to clean it (it will probably be filthy!) and look behind the appliances and for scratches.
- Triple check in the area the staffer pointed out issues. They might put down the dent in the drywall themselves but conveniently miss the carpet stain next to it.
- Check airflow. Bathroom fan does pull air under/around the door instead of from around the uncaulked toilet for example. No major leaks at outer walls.

Things to check for scratches:
- Cabinets
- All windows and mirrors
- Counter
- Floors
- Wall sockets
- Drywall
- etc.

Don't be surprised if they scratch new stuff fixing the old stuff (ugh).

Oh, and you are (as far as I know) allowed to take a home inspector with you.

Last edited:
Perhaps, you might also wish to ask him a question about the builder having asked you to occupy the unit with heating not working properly.

It's working properly in the sense that the heat is coming through the vent, however the design and placement of the vent doesn't heat the 1st floor adequately.

Take pictures of everything. Write everything down and email them as a record of events. Verbal conversations mean nothing.

If you do not get satisfaction from Freed, then call up Tarion, ask them to assign you a rep for your suite and keep on calling them to come over and deal with your issues. Nag Nag Nag. That's all Tarion listens to these days.

If the Tarion rep takes Freed's side, then, spend the $150 or so to take it up a notch in the Tarion system to a mediator which will likely take your side and not Freed's, especially if you have pictures, video, documentation. Freed will likely back off before you get there.

Bottom line, if you give up, developers LOVE that!!!

Back