8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

rdaner

Member Bio
Reaction score
Nice, if traditional, rebuild on Dundas West. This is the site of the Musa Restaurant fire two years ago.

IMG1941-L.jpg

IMG1944-L.jpg

IMG1946-L.jpg

Last edited:
I really miss Musa, one of the original hot spots on Dundas West even before the influx of new hipster joints.

This looks like a decent rebuild though. Hopefully they go for a brick finish and not stucco, which is becoming way too common on the west side.

I'll wait until it's complete, but even with brick, it looks like it might be the mixed-use equivalent of those lowly faux-historicist infill townhouses. Blending a pitched roof with Modern windows with asymmetrical mullions, it's looking strange so far. The pitched roof seems to aim to evoke vernacular architecture, except that mixed-use buildings along major streets in Toronto traditionally have flat roofs. Yet I'm open to such creativity as long as it's well executed.

I'll wait until it's complete, but even with brick, it looks like it might be the mixed-use equivalent of those lowly faux-historicist infill townhouses. Blending a pitched roof with Modern windows with asymmetrical mullions, it's looking strange so far. The pitched roof seems to aim to evoke vernacular architecture, except that mixed-use buildings along major streets in Toronto traditionally have flat roofs. Yet I'm open to such creativity as long as it's well executed.

+1... But I doubt this will be creative or well executed when all is said and done

I take issue with the scaling. The pitched roof is too high and makes the whole massing feel lopsided. Now obviously this is done to add a "bonus" floor, with what appears to be a walkout terrace area, but I feel for this height relative to this area, a flat roof would have fit in better.

Everything about it looks out of place. A very odd building.
I drove by it recently and it really sticks out like a sore thumb.

The scale is too tall. It needs some set backs to reduce its scale and to better relate to the other buildings nearby.

The backside looks lopped off, like they were anticipating a second phase or addition. It makes the building look like a billboard or some ill case of facadism.

If it will be covered in brick it will still look just as bad as those couple of gray townhouses behind it. A very generic suburban infill townhouse.

I am surprised that this building's design got approved.

May be mediocre , but not compared ti it surroundings though...

Last edited by a moderator:
What a missed opportunity. I hope Nero and other new developments set higher design precedents for mid-rise on Dundas. DAZZ has miserably failed to dazzle.

If we just see one such mixed-use block built, it'll be a curiosity. But I wouldn't want to see any more with the odd pitched roof that looks straight out of the 905. Without the pitched roof it could be better received since the contemporary formula is there: lots of glass, next to no ornamentation, no historical references, asymmetrical windows, and it's "fully loaded" with 90 degree angles.

And without the heinous clashing EIFS backside, it'd be better received.

The dormers are kitschy fuss. If I want "pitched roof modernism", give me that ultra-orange-brick 70s infill with those steeply sloped asymmetrical Aalto-cum-Sea-Ranch-isms...

Gable dormers on a hip roof, pork chop eaves, too many gables, and they don't align onto the window bays. There's two dozen good examples of Victorian domestic architecture within line of sight of this building. Why couldn't the "architect" just have made an exact copy of one of them, if he didn't know what he was doing?

Back