News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

E

Ed007Toronto

Interesting.

Vaughan on stealth mission in fight against island airport

JOHN BARBER
E-mail John Barber

The last time I discussed the island airport with Adam Vaughan, his vehemence almost shocked me. We were standing together on the crumbling dock wall at the foot of Bathurst Street, watching the new airport ferry spin helplessly down the Western Gap on its maiden voyage. The would-be politician was howling vicious insults at the rattled skipper and the red-faced dignitaries who scowled down upon us, stung by the heckling and well aware of its origin. If the scene wasn't such a comedy, I would have retreated to a neutral corner.

There was nothing much neutral about Mr. Vaughan as a journalist, and he abandoned all pretence of it when he ran for council. On the hustings, he attacked the Miller administration for accommodating airport expansion, despite its professed opposition to the project, and advocated all-out municipal harassment of the facility.

But the howls subsided once he won a seat in the giant clam, the new councillor adopting the guise of a sober statesman. It has proven so effective that hardly anybody noticed his opening shot this week in the promised guerrilla campaign against the airport.

Less obvious but far more effective than shouting from the sidelines, Mr. Vaughan's gambit was a seemingly innocuous request for staff to report on the feasibility of a pedestrian-friendly redesign of Bathurst Street south of Queens Quay West. Some of his fellow members on the Toronto and East York community council knew what he was up to, others didn't. But all voted in favour.

That's more than enough votes to complete the job of making life miserable for the airport, its tenants and customers by narrowing the street and building a new sidewalk to replace queuing lanes for the ferry. Mr. Vaughan (Ward 20, Trinity-Spadina) and his fellow conspirators kept quiet about their plans until council enacted a long-awaited scheme to delegate power over local roads to community councils, which it did last week. Under the new rules, 10 downtowners now enjoy final say over the island airport -- and they plan to use it.

"One of the delegated rights to community councils is to allow them to protect their neighbourhoods," Mr. Vaughan said. "This is the first time since the bridge was stopped that this city has moved in a public way to defend that neighbourhood -- and I'm very proud to have done it."

The Toronto Port Authority, tipped off by city staff, has already begun to howl about the new plans, according to Mr. Vaughan. But in his view, the needs of local residents, the public school and community centre are just as important as those of the port authoritarians. "How they choose to use the land they leased from the city is their business," he said. "How the city configures its road is our business. They're only tenant down there."

Lest anybody interpret this as petty harassment of a legitimate business, fellow rookie Councillor Gord Perks is eager to explain its sound ideological underpinnings. Road narrowing, he says, is now a proven technique for reducing car use. Rather than creating more congestion, it causes "traffic evaporation," says Mr. Perks (Ward 14, Parkdale-High Park).

And if the airport evaporates along with the traffic that feeds it, so much the better. Air travel causes global warming and much of it is unnecessary, according to Mr. Perks -- especially short hauls of the type that originate at the island airport.

"I don't know why anybody should ever fly to Ottawa," he said.

Choking off Bathurst Street is only one of the schemes Mr. Vaughan has planned in defence of his neighbourhood, and a large majority of his community council colleagues are willing to follow along. Even Councillor Case Ootes (Ward 29, Toronto-Danforth), a pro-airport stalwart, voted in favour of the initial report this week.

Meanwhile, local skies remain mercifully free of the ominous Luftwaffe that once darkened the campaign posters of mayoral candidate David Miller. So far, Porter Airlines has dramatically failed in its ambition to be a nuisance -- raising the question of whether or not it will survive long enough to be properly harassed.

jbarber@globeandmail.com

Re: Vaughan on stealth mission in fight against island airpo

Now that the airport has a purpose (Porter Airlines), I'd like to see it stay. You can get 10 one way trips between Toronto and Ottawa or Montreal for $1050 + GST... I'm tempted to get that. My only fear is, what if they go under?

Vaughan is one of the most deluded maniacs currently sitting on the council. His comments re: Shangri-La were the apex of anti-development zealotry and outright idiocy.

And if the airport evaporates along with the traffic that feeds it, so much the better. Air travel causes global warming and much of it is unnecessary, according to Mr. Perks -- especially short hauls of the type that originate at the island airport.

The same could be said for city councillor breathing. The fact is that someone driving to Ottawa or Montreal probably (depending on vehicle used) uses more gas and creates more global warming than someone flying. The politicians that want the airport to close need to get with the program and (a) fight for the more convenient alternative, and (b) fight for a more environmentally friendly alternative rather than fighting against something. It is too easy to complain and complaining doesn't lead to progress. Progress is a achieved by moving forward on smart alternatives. The city council should be fighting for the high-speed air-rail link and for high-speed rail between Toronto and Ottawa/Montreal. Either of these would achieve the objective of closing the Island airport with positive environmental effects. If the airport closes and people drive more the environmental benefits are more likely to be negative.

When people argue that air travel causes greater global warming that doesn't mean it causes greater global warming compared to driving, it means it creates greater global warming compared to not travelling at all. If the people are going to travel they might as well fly if the alternative is driving.

And I dont see the Island Airport as a barrier to the waterfront. It actually makes that area interesting. Its cool to watch planes land and take off while you are in that area. These arent big planes flying into and out of the airport so I dont see why there are so many complaints about it. And this is coming from someone who lives directly under a flight path for Pearson.

Re: ..

I couldn't agree with you more, Enviro. Your point is very well made.

I just flew Porter on the weekend, as it was even cheaper than the train. It was very comfortable and pleasant, and the service was certainly leaps and bounds ahead of Air Canada. You only have to be there about 40 minutes in advance. It wasn't that busy, though. They were talking about adding additional destinations, including Newark, Windsor, and Northern Ontario. If they don't succeed, however, I think it's finally time to euthanize the airport and turn in into a Harbour City-style development.

I'll agree with you. I'd rather have high-speed rail and a Harbour City than Porter and the airport, but at least Porker hasn't been, yet, a huge detriment. I have been tempted when they were running their seat sales to give them a try. I have only gone to Ottawa and Montreal by train when I go on my own accord or on business.

That said, Robert Deluce is a dick and the TPA an outdated, politicized, unaccountable agency that ought to be executed (but Liberal and Conservative governments refuse to do this, but at least its biggest fan, Dennis Mills, is politically extinct). .

You're right, Sean. The TPA is a very questionable agency that seems to operate without any supervision or accountability at all. Still, they've really tried their best to make a pleasant airline. The TPA's efforts to keep Air Canada out are justified, though I wish they would just enforce existing anti-monopoly laws against them. They couldn't be more obviously predatory. As soon as Porter started operating, fares dropped from $250 each way to $99 or less. On the weekend, when Porter only flies a couple flights, the prices are still at $250. They did the same thing with Canadian, JetsGo, Canjet, etc. Healthy competition isn't a bad thing. Pricing to drive your competitors out of the market so that you can jack the prices back up the next day is wrong.

I'm also the demographic that is supposed to be most up in arms about these planes. Anybody who's ever been down on Queen's Quay will know that the streetcars going by every five minutes make a lot more noise than those planes.

The shuttles to Union Station may not last, though. I decided to ride one and I was the only person on board. They said that most people just take taxis since they are at most ten dollars from downtown.

It's a strange thing this Porter Airlines. I dislike the island airport, but do love that they show up Air Canada and their inhuman service, in flight anyway.

If I was running a "stealth mission" I wouldn't be telling bigmouth journos like Barber. Vaughan might have been nearer to pulling it off before that column. With friends like this, etc.

I take VIA Rail as often as I can to Kingston and London (and I would to Kitchener if there was a train to take me in the early morning) but until the time from Union-Ottawa comes down to about three hours or less and departs at least hourly it's not worth it for me. Eight hours on VIA (and VIA doesn't go into Ottawa downtown anyway) vs two hours inflight on Porter - no contest. Even with the extra time getting to/from the Island and check-in, at worst it's four hours by air.

Build a Transrapid line and I'll never fly to Ottawa again :)

Mr. Vaughan (Ward 20, Trinity-Spadina) and his fellow conspirators kept quiet about their plans until council enacted a long-awaited scheme to delegate power over local roads to community councils, which it did last week. Under the new rules, 10 downtowners now enjoy final say over the island airport -- and they plan to use it.

Oooh, that's another brilliant move by council -- now every community council has the means to keep unwanted businesses and services out of their community, by simply removing the roads leading to it! I should start drawing up a list of undesirable land uses in the east end. For starters, I don't like the city services lot on Kennedy road. The community council can block off the road and then some other area of the city will have to take it (assuming they don't respond in kind...)

Vaughan's lack of maturity is highly visible here. What next, narrow highway exits with tree planters so drivers can't enter city streets faster. I'm sure he can muster enough votes on community council.

Eight hours on VIA (and VIA doesn't go into Ottawa downtown anyway) vs two hours inflight on Porter - no contest. Even with the extra time getting to/from the Island and check-in, at worst it's four hours by air.

We're all mixing apples and oranges here because that is what we are stuck with at the moment in terms of transportation.

When flying into Ottawa with Porter, one lands at MC airport, just like any other flight, and that is considerably further from the downtown than the train station. The only mass intercity transit that terminates in downtown Ottawa is the bus.

I am of very mixed opinion concerning the Island airport. I can see how useful and convenient it is, but the downtown waterfront could become a victim of its success in the longer term.

This article doesn't prove to me that Adam Vaughan is an idiot, it just assures me that I was right about it all along.

Al Gore flew Porter down to UofT. Reading that in the Globe on the 501 on Saturday made me chuckle - Barber must have been having a conniption.

bizorky - I took the transitway into town from the airport and found it quite convenient, but in the evening time I was stuck for time and didn't want to rely on the timetabled service and got a cab - a hell of a lot more expensive. The transitway bus overtook the O-Train, no wonder people aren't convinced.

Back