News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The North Toronto railway corridor leads right to the old CPR North Toronto Station at Yonge & Summerhill, so we might as well forget about any future GO train expansion to that location if it starts getting lined with high-rise towers. It's currently an extremely busy rail corridor so the developer had better hope that there are enough train buffs out there to fill a tower right next to very active tracks.

The Madison Lofts (just north of the tracks) was a very successful project and this would be too. I live in the neighbourhood and support the intensification of Dupont.

I actually think I remember reading some Metrolinx document where they conceptually mention the idea of using Summerhill as a midtown GO station at some point in the future. Aside from the density issues, I think we really need to address the rail corridor first as that can have a huge impact on future transit plans.

Here's a thought. If it were feasible to cover that portion of the rail corridor with a 'roof', like they partially did on the north end of the Rogers Centre (for the hotels vehicle drop off area), do you think that would in any way change the need for the 30m buffer? I know it probably won't address any of the concerns about future expansion, but it may address some of the concerns of noise, nuissance, and safety for those who may end up living on the north side of one of those towers?

I live on the north side of Dupont at Bedford down the street, my bedroom is 50ft from the tracks. There are constant trains (all hours) and outside on my patio you have to stop conversation for them to pass even though there is a 30ft high concrete barrier. Inside I have to listen to tv obnoxiously loud. You get used to it though and it keeps rent in the neighbourhood very low for The Annex. I think a high density apartment for blue collar people would be more suiting. The neighbourhood is very local, earthy, and artistic. I would hate to see the vegan restaurants, and coffee stores replaced by Starbucks. Love that the parking lots are being developed but I would not like more wealthy people to gentrify this bohemian enclave like so many other lost T.O gems.

Back