News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Yea at Yonge & Bloor I'd take either one.

They look lonely.

Lets enjoy them while we can. Once the random curtains and ugly balcony furniture begin appearing, this look will be quickly downgraded. I wish builders of "landmark" condos included basic curtains and balcony furniture that coordinated with the building in the purchase price and banned their replacement.

Lets enjoy them while we can. Once the random curtains and ugly balcony furniture begin appearing, this look will be quickly downgraded. I wish builders of "landmark" condos included basic curtains and balcony furniture that coordinated with the building in the purchase price and banned their replacement.

Do you really think that is a good idea? I hope you are at least using a smidge of hyperbole. Who wants to buy a half-million dollar condo and be told what curtains you can put up and what furniture you may put on your balcony? I would love for this building to remain shiny and clean looking, but not by imposing on people's property rights.

That's a slippery slope that I believe we are already beginning to slide down.

Do you really think that is a good idea? I hope you are at least using a smidge of hyperbole. Who wants to buy a half-million dollar condo and be told what curtains you can put up and what furniture you may put on your balcony? I would love for this building to remain shiny and clean looking, but not by imposing on people's property rights.

It's not that far-fetched. Some condos already have that rule in place, mine only allows for white curtains or blinds. Other condos too restrict the type of furniture you're allowed to include such as bikes to prevent visual clutter.

Beautiful shot btw!

That's what I was getting at. Just because its already in place doesn't make it right though. Limits to what I can do with my own home as decided and imposed by someone else's sensibilities really bothers me.

I understand that the standard response is that no one is forcing me to buy in a place where I don't like the rules, but homeowner limitations are becoming the norm now with few available alternatives. Not a fan.

I understand your resentment of controls Bruvyman, but I have to side with linxr on this one. You can have fuchsia pink curtains if you want, as long as the exterior remains neutral (no big deal, just get lined drapery panels - you get the look you want inside but from the outside it's not a horror show). It goes to preserving both the aesthetics of the original structure and maintaining your half-million dollar investment. That is why many well-run condos have such rules. Same thing with the balconies. So many people use them as convenient storage lockers. Makes the building looks like... If you want a PRIME example of how horrible a building can look with a mix of flags for curtains, aluminium foil for curtains, sheets for curtains or paper for curtains, just check out the highrises at the corner of Bloor West & Dundas West: a really trashy ghetto-look that won't maintain the value in your half million dollar investment (granted those are rentals, but the point is the same). Add to that balconies with a rag tag mash of crap furniture and ill-advised decorative elements and you've got a shitstorm of ugly. Wanna talk resale? Try not to think of it so much as an imposition of other people's views but rather as a compromise between neighbours in an effort to ensure that the building retains its appeal and doesn't become trashy looking.

By the way, am I the only one who is reminded of bottles of Downy fabric softener when looking at these towers? (Oh - don't get all serious on me, it's a joke! Sort of.)

Last edited:

1. Who wouldn't love to move into a condo with rails and exterior curtains already up? It is one of the more painful and difficult tasks, especially when you are sure to have non-standard size windows and randomized mounting points due to the varying floor plates, as will the residents of these towers.

2. I've seen this implemented in condos in Vancouver. I thought it was the best idea ever because everything is sized and partitioned perfectly and the outside if the building looks picture-perfect. Not to mention the quality is better than whatever cheap option many residents would have defaulted to.

3. If you truly are free spirit and don't care for appearance, then why would you be paying a premium to live in arguably the most design-focused project in the city?

4. This is Mississauga.

Gorgeous towers in an absolute-ly awful "neighbourhood". I don't think I could ever live in a place where you can't easily get around without a car.

Back