News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

Except it won't be the 100th library anymore, since the Urban Affairs branch closed down.

Anyway. This is interesting! Are there rules in place for this sort of thing? Are Context obligated to preserve these ruins now that they've been found?

perhaps they can unearth the stone wall and reconstruct it at ground level as part of the art/heritage component of the development.

yes, there are procedures to be followed in such cases, historians and archaeologists will be called in. something similar occurred during the excavation of Shangri-La which brought things to a halt for several months as I recall. It's fascinating stuff. Also, had not seen the contextual render before... really helps to visualize how the finished CityPlace neighbourhood will look.

They'll take a bunch of pictures and then trash the whole thing. Just like they did with the Queen's Wharf over by the Ex.

Hey Edward,

Sorry for delay. I wanted to check out the site in person so I could comment accurately.

The archaeological dig uncovered rail road related below grade foundations and infrastructure dating from the 1850's to the 1920's that were previously buried with land fill. These findings were anticipated by our archaeologists due to past excavations that began on site in 2005 and the fact that until recently this was a rail road yard and we continue to work with the archaeologists on site. The future decision on the foundation wall will be made after the consultant’s report is issued and talks occur in concert with the city and province and Context.

Thanks for your interest and you are welcome to post this on urbantoronto.

Best regards.

Craig Taylor
Director of Design Marketing
Context

Back