39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
The first rendering is the proposed design, the neighbourhood renderings below reflect earlier ideas during the conceptual design stage.

They need to get rid of the airport from there, this huge site has lots of potential as does the area around Yorkdale once the airport/runway is gone. I'm sure Bombardier would benefit as well, moving out of the city.

All of the stations for this subway extension are all looking surprisingly good, compared to the Sheppard line with its bare concrete walls. Wonder how these stations will turn out in reality, also land is not a problem so these stations can all be huge.

They could still get rid of it one day in the far far future.

It kind of reminds me of Hi-way 7 / 404 area - although Markham is a lot more built up then Downview in comparison.
But I can see something similar occurring in maybe, hmm, 25-30 years.

why don't they compromise and just call it Sheppard Downsview if they think Sheppard West will confuse people?

I know there is an airstrip near by, but couldn't they have built something above the station, even 5-8 stories? Planners should be designing these transit stations to minimize every step people will have to make to get into them and onto a train. The renders always show people hanging out and enjoying the expansive public spaces, but in reality people just want quick, convenient, and inexpensive transit access. How much will this station cost? Could those funds have been spent elsewhere on other transit projects?

Ponyboy,
I was just thinking the same thing. Wouldn't adding extra height also reduce cost? I'm pretty sure any noise issues could be mitigated with good design as well.

They need to get rid of the airport from there, this huge site has lots of potential as does the area around Yorkdale once the airport/runway is gone..

Right-on ..Buttonville is going, while they are at it they can also get rid of Billy Bishop and Pearson International and have one bunch of happy neighbourhoods.:rolleyes:

With regard to barrier free access, it seems like they didn't factor in that the distance from the street is a barrier in and of itself, particularly for the east pavilion due to its meandering walkway. Why there needs to be two full-fledged pavilion buildings is beyond me but, in general, these buildings should be much closer to Sheppard Avenue.

Maybe the west driveway could also be used as a bus loop for the 101 Parc Downsview Park bus, as it looks like it's not going to get cut back, and perhaps even the 108 Downsview bus. I don't know if the latter is heavily used though. The bus platform at Downsview Station is going to be a shadow of its former self regardless. It's not going anywhere. Having the 101 and 108 terminate at Sheppard West would save on fuel costs and still get passengers to where they are going. In the meantime, the 84 Sheppard West could stop in front of Sheppard West and continue onto Downsview, and beyond, ensuring the area still has bus service.

Back