40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
I always knew 90 Harbour Street would one day bite the dust. Typical Toronto. There won't be a brick left in this city in 50 years.

A 64 storey condo on Charles St? Wow, it should be interesting to see that one beside 1 Bloor East when they're done. While it might not be quite as impressive, 64 storeys is still pretty damn big. I would imagine this one would be starting to dig down once 1 Bloor East has just passed ground level and started its way skyward.

the location of the Cresford development is ridiculous. all these buildings are simply going to have views into each others units. And where is the sentimentality for the YMCA building? friggin greedy developers!

Remember that the Cressford "announcement" is only a proposal and that the site needs a rezoning......

Save 90 Harbour St!
We need to save older brick buildings, if we lose them all, we lose what character we have left.

Sorry but I find this down right depressing to be honest. Soon these neighbourhoods will have zero to no aesthetic appeal due to the vast swathe of these damn post Y2K condo's which replace what little history these neighbourhoods actually have left to show. Really... what about the location/hood is appealing where there's no character to the street at all? These projects are so banal and drab it's ridiculous. Shame on the developers for ruining our neighbourhoods and our city.

Last edited:
64 storeys on Charles seems a bit much- where will everyone work when most of the city is turned to condos? Drive out to Mississauga?

While 90 Harbour isn't up there as a standout, it does represent a period of architecture - a transitional period between older all-brick office buildings (the pre-war variety) and the more modern glass style. With some creative adaptions, this one could be turned into something. Besides the Harbour Commission building and the Queen's Quay terminal, it's the only other older building with any historic character in the area. If it goes, it'll just be replaced with another tall condo tower with dubious street-level aesthetics since it faces on to busy Harbour St. No doubt we'll have another dry cleaner and a toasted sandwich outlet to look forward to!

The parking lot in the foreground of the first shot of 90 Harbour sticks out as a more obvious place to put a huge condo instead of tearing down a building with some heritage.
However, if they do go through with it I think the city should charge a sizable development fee and plow it all into making that stretch of the Gardiner safer and more aesthetically appealing. Stacking a bunch of people beside it will no doubt force it to become a more welcoming area for pedestrians.

What a shame about 90 Harbour Street!

Build a tower on top of it if they must, but it's a fine building that deserves a creative solution, not the wrecking ball.

What's wrong with this city?

Shan't miss the YMCA building; however, I will miss Harbour Street. I think it's beautiful; a nice hiccough in the post-depression era of Toronto architecture which was mostly bland and boring. I hope the condo they build on Charles will suit the neighbourhood, though. The Children's Aid Society did a good job of incorporating their new (6 or so years ago) building onto Isabella.

Back