News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

W

wyliepoon

Bangkok's new Suvarnabhumi Airport is now open for business, despite the recent coup in Thailand. It features the world's tallest control tower, and claims to have the world's largest airport terminal (arguable, since Hong Kong is probably still the record holder). I guess it's fitting that this massive airport also has a massive (and almost unpronouceable) name.

Yahoo! News

Link to article

Bangkok's new airport opens after coup

By ALISA TANG, Associated Press Writer 54 minutes ago

BANGKOK, Thailand - Fate hurled an array of obstacles to block the completion of Bangkok's new international airport — corruption scandals, a deadly fire, and even a coup — but the sleek new hub is finally opening.
ADVERTISEMENT

Built on an area known as "Cobra Swamp," the luckless Suvarnabhumi Airport will officially open its doors Thursday, more than four decades after the project originated.

Over the weekend, 99 monks and Brahmin priests performed a ceremony to apologize to the spirits of the land for any offenses committed during the construction of the airport, along with the spirits of animals who died on what was once swampland infested with snakes and other creatures.

The last hurdle came on Sept. 19: A military coup ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who had pushed for a timely completion of the airport and touted Suvarnabhumi as one of his administration's crowning achievements.

The coup has stolen the spotlight from Suvarnabhumi, which, prior to the military takeover, was the focus of international and domestic media this month.

Prior to its official opening, the airport had already hosted a few flights. Travelers departing on flights that had moved to Suvarnabhumi earlier this month were impressed by the flashy, new building.

"It's impressive," said Adrian Ahlquist, a 51-year-old Australian en route to Singapore. "It's a great improvement on the old one."

The old, overcrowded Don Muang airport comprised three boxy, institutional terminals, totaling about four million square feet. The airport serviced about 60 flights per hour and 36.5 million passengers per year.

Suvarnabhumi — a name conferred by the Thai king pronounced "sue-wanna-poom," which means "Golden Land" — is 20 miles east of Bangkok in a six-million square-foot H-shaped building, with seven concourses. Thai officials claim it's the largest airport terminal building under one continuous roof.

They said Suvarnabhumi is capable of handling 76 flights per hour and 45 million passengers per year.

"It's an exaggerated statement of how far Thailand has come in terms of its development," said David Keen, a 43-year-old Briton who lives in Bangkok, after landing at Suvarnabhumi from Singapore. "It's clearly an extraordinary statement of how Thailand has moved forward and how it wants to be perceived in the rest of the world."

A 17-mile Airport Link under construction will include a direct, 15-minute express train to downtown Bangkok, and another train that will make eight stops throughout the city, taking 30 minutes to the airport. It is scheduled for completion in November 2007.

Expansive and airy, the minimalist Suvarnabhumi is constructed of steel, concrete and lots of glass that lets in natural light while keeping out the tropical heat. The oval-shaped concourse corridors are roofed by glass and white fabric panels.

First conceived in 1960, the high-profile project transformed a swamp where villagers once caught cobras for a living into a fertile ground for politicians and their cronies to profit from shady deals, allegedly ranging from land speculation to bribery and kickbacks from the $3.8 billion project.

Before construction started, government officials and businessmen with political connections bought large swaths of land and are alleged to have sold it for large profits.

The airport's high-tech baggage scanners — also called bomb scanners — had been the focus of a corruption scandal last year.

In January, a fire swept through a catering hall, killing a construction worker, on the same day that officials announced cracks were found in the main runway and that software for the bomb scanners needed some tweaking.

The coup was the final blow after decades of woes.

After taking power, the ruling military leaders said repeatedly that the airport will open on schedule. The military also assigned 800 troops to the airport for 90 days to support the transfer and help with troubleshooting at Suvarnabhumi.

"It was 45 years — the longest airport project in the world," Airports of Thailand chairman Srisook Chandrangsu told The Associated Press. "It was the fastest construction project — finishing in four and a half years."

photo10.jpg

photo8.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo2.jpg

arr2.jpg

arr6.jpg

arr10.jpg

dep8.jpg

dep24.jpg

I find it somehwat unlikely that "Brahmin" priests would have anything to do with a public building in Thailand.

I did some looking to settle it once and for all. Apparently HKIA is still bigger, with 570,000 sq m to Bangkok's 563,000. Madrid Barajas remains the largest by total terminal area with over 1,000,000 sq m.

"I find it somehwat unlikely that "Brahmin" priests would have anything to do with a public building in Thailand."

I'm curious: why?

I flew through Bangkok's old airport this summer and it was pretty ghetto for a country that takes more passengers than any other in the region. So I guess the new one is about time.

I particularly like the inner courtyard- very elegant.

"A 17-mile Airport Link under construction will include a direct, 15-minute express train to downtown Bangkok, and another train that will make eight stops throughout the city, taking 30 minutes to the airport. It is scheduled for completion in November 2007." - must be nice

Brahmins are a Hindu caste...Thailand is an overwhelmingly Theravadah Buddhist country. I think the writer got their eastern religions mixed up.

^ Nope. The author's absolutely right since new Thai buildings are often blessed by a Brahmin priest to install good spirits or something like that into the new place. Why shouldn't Hinduism have influenced a neighbouring country with a not-that-dissimilar religion over the course of centuries? Hinduism has enough deities and spirits to spare, while Buddhism tends to be in short supply of them. Simple supply and demand, really. Take it up with the king of Thailand if you want - if memory serves me correctly, he has his own Brahmin priest...

edit - and I kinda doubt "Alisa Tang" reporting for AP out of Bangkok would get mixed up.

Nice looking place! I wonder how their landing fees compare to Toronto's?

Landing and Parking fees will be increased by 15% as of April 1, 2007, a 6-month delay, to support airlines, ensure the best service for aircraft and attract more airlines to Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Back