The TPA representative at the public meeting last week said "we are not Porter" fairly early in his presentation to muffled groans from the audience.

NoJetsTO is reporting that "The Toronto Port Authority proposed Noise Barrier on both portions of the extended runways as a scenario to mitigate noise, earlier this week at the Island Airport Expansion EA":

10848543_883447105023194_3334054027585703973_o.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/NoJetsTO/p...1120594129/883447105023194/?type=1&permPage=1

Attachments

• 10848543_883447105023194_3334054027585703973_o.jpg
    10848543_883447105023194_3334054027585703973_o.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,242
Yes, the expansion plan for the airport is fraught with issues. The rah-rah-build-it-damn-the-complainers crowd will find that the opposition has a lot of ammo in their clips.

I note Metrolinx is installing a plastic barrier along the Georgetown South line. Has this been used anywhere in Toronto before? I would think this would be attractive to TPA since it would reduce (not eliminate) the visual intrusion of, for example, a concrete or otherwise fully opaque wall.

The new 5-meter-high transparent noise barriers (1" acrylic I think) is rather interesting and nice looking by noise barrier standards. I'm curious how it will stand up to grafitti (dastardly scratch grafitti) and the yellowing from ultraviolet. Probably designed to be much more heavily UV resistant, and perhaps has a grafitti/scratch resistant coating. I've never seen clear noise barrier until Metrolinx installed those. Hopefully they last a long time.

[video=youtube_share;mUDmhqIHwU8]http://youtu.be/mUDmhqIHwU8[/video]

Could be possible for TPA. Colored transparent panels (artwork/mosaic grid) was also a proposal. And at TPA, grafitti risk is eliminated, due to the virtue of it being a secure zone.

I've never seen an airport with transparent noise barriers. Would be the first in the world?

Just make sure they're cleaned regularly.

Last edited:
Awesome. Normally I'm all for competition. It's great for the consumer. But in this case, I dislike Air Canada's history of predatory pricing. And I don't see Porter's prices going up much now that Pearson is a 20 min train ride away.

I suspect the train is a factor in this potential decision. With the number of gates they had they could not operate anything other than YYZ - YUL service.....and it effectively rendered that service as an isolated route not taking advantage of AC's greatest strength - their connectivity with a massive route structure. With Pearson being better connected to downtown, they can compete on that route on convenience as well as eliminating the need to operate in two locations and connect to their network.

Fully expect them to come up with some package that ties their Rapidair services to the UPe.

This may open the door for WestJet Encore to use Billy Bishop as an Eastern destination.

The new 5-meter-high transparent noise barriers (1" acrylic I think) is rather interesting and nice looking by noise barrier standards. I'm curious how it will stand up to grafitti (dastardly scratch grafitti) and the yellowing from ultraviolet. Probably designed to be much more heavily UV resistant, and perhaps has a grafitti/scratch resistant coating. I've never seen clear noise barrier until Metrolinx installed those. Hopefully they last a long time.

Could be possible for TPA. Colored transparent panels (artwork/mosaic grid) was also a proposal. And at TPA, grafitti risk is eliminated, due to the virtue of it being a secure zone.

I've never seen an airport with transparent noise barriers. Would be the first in the world?

Just make sure they're cleaned regularly.

In the future, credit the person video and photo when using them in posting them. "THAT IS MY VIDEO"

Clear plastic has been used else where around the world and all the ones for Metrolinx will be grafitti protected for easy removal. This also applies to concrete walls.

Why you don't see clear walls at airports is to hide the planes from view for security reason so said by airports. Not sure if they could stand the force from the engines, as most are metal in the first place.

In the future, credit the person video and photo when using them in posting them. "THAT IS MY VIDEO"
Is that policy? When you click on the video, your name is attached to it, it hasn't been copied from where you put it.

How far do we take that - do we provide info on every photo? I don't see that this is necessary as long as it's clear when you go to the link.

Back