I can't imagine the elevator solution being that much faster than the ferry... if at all. There are spiral escalators in existence which if used here might work well. It would be more expensive to construct but one could be in complete control of how long it takes to cross rather than being at the whim of the ferry or elevator schedule and loads.

I'm sure that they will assess how many people the elevator will need to move and include as many elevators as necessary.

My girlfriend and I had a terrible island airport experience this past weekend. We both arrived a little over 2 hours early for our flight to get seats as close to the front as possible to quickly make it through customs. Our flight from Chicago was delayed an hour so they had canceled another flight from Chicago to fit both planes onto one. We finally get to Toronto and as were walking down the hall to customs, one of the employees directs us to walk down this other hallway. We get to the end of the hallway only to have another employee tell us that we have to turn around and that we shouldn't have come down this way. I guess at the same time, another flight from Boston had also arrived. So instead of being able to quickly get through customs, were stuck at the back of 2 incoming full flights. Instead of getting out of the airport at 10:00 we finally got through customs, baggage and the ferry by 11:30. It seemed like everyone at the airport didn't have a clue what was going on. Considering I could have gone through Pearson and been out of there in 30 minutes, waiting in a giant line for one of two customs officers was slightly frustrating.
My bet is that it was a relatively new staff member. Bboarding and deboarding flights using one hallway is incredibly difficult from a logistics perspective. It might seem easy, but it does take some experience to deal with it properly. I haven't worked there in nearly a year and even then it was very difficult and they've added 30-50% more flights since then. It's no excuse, but you can see from a post I made a page or two back what is happening regarding the staffing issues there.

Things should improve a bit when the new terminal opens. There are 5 gates right now and there was no free gate for my plane or the plane behind ours when we arrived at YTZ last night. It didn't take too long for a gate to free up, but it is an example of how stretched for space they are at the moment. Certainly a larger baggage claim area would not be out of order.

The larger ferry is a nice improvement.

Things will improve immensely. Apparently the new terminal is pretty nice but there are a few "huh?" issues in the design and layout, but hopefully those will get fixed as they do some tests. The one thing it'll do is make the airline operate a lot more efficiently. The current set-up is absolutely horrible (and Jayomatic's post only exemplifies this) and for someone coming from another airline, it would seem like chaos with no rhyme or reason to how things work. So the new terminal will hopefully make the jobs of the employees a lot easier, and customer service will rise back to the levels it was back when they were only servicing YOW and YUL.

... 27 m is one deep tunnel!
Actually, it is 27 m under 10 m of water, so, 37 m total:

3f94b20342c8ab7a052fc7b0acbe.jpeg

Doesn't the figure show the tunnel - the bottom of it anyway - is 31-metres deep? That's where an escalator would have to reach?

^ Would solve a bunch of problems that the community cares about, like moving the taxi stand out of their community. Could never do that, would be too logical.

I am wonder if the tunnel will suddenly become an election issue! I'd love for a candidate to just stand up and say, "This is idiotic. Let's just build a bridge." Now that Porter is up and running and has tens of thousands of passengers in this city and everybody's heard about them, it'll be awful hard for a candidate to campaign against a bridge.

I'd love for a mayoral candidate to come out in support of a bridge to the island. I think public opinion on this issue has done a total 180 degree turn and people are ready for the bridge this time around.

I'm not sure TPA would be interested at this time in a draw bridge that needs to open every 15 minutes for a period of 5 to 10 minutes; nor were they planning on building a signature bridge in the past.

To build a non-draw bridge it would be one of the largest things on the waterfront with half km long ramps on each side.

Tunnel gets a thumbs up from me.

Back