If you want to kick off the island residents, have at it, but how is it relevant to whether Billy Bishop is better used as a private airport or public space?

For context, 1.5 million people visit the Toronto Islands each year. If Billy Bishop were turned into parkland with better public access, this would undoubtedly increase.

Imagine the park we could have if both the island residents and the island airport weren't there

I don't mind kicking out the island residents.

But for me, the issue with the island is the lack of services. There should be more and better restaurants, better ferry facilities. Let the island residents' leases expire and don't renew them.

I'm not sure about the airport, but we can do a lot to improve what we already have and make it more accessible.

I don't think the island residents need to be removed, but we should acknowledge that they are extremely privileged to live there's and if they want to squawk about others enjoying the islands as well, they are free to move and give up their space to the others on the multi decade waitlist.

But for me, the issue with the island is the lack of services. There should be more and better restaurants, better ferry facilities. Let the island residents' leases expire and don't renew them.

I'm not sure about the airport, but we can do a lot to improve what we already have and make it more accessible.
The facilities are at their current level BECAUSE of the residents (IMO) they're fighting a restaurant expanding because they feel the facilities aren't good enough to support more visitors.

Imagine the park we could have if both the island residents and the island airport weren't there
Let's be realistic though, the island is only as nice as it is because of the residents. The city can't even keep water fountains working in most parks.

Bombardier is completely out of the passenger aircraft business, they have nothing to do with it and DeHavilland has the full rights to it. For all intents and purposes, they will be going ahead with producing the planes once the manufacturing facility in Alberta is complete.
That's right, I'd forgotten than Viking took the Q400 as well. Perhaps they'll rename it the Dash-8. But it is an over forty year old design targeted at low cost commuter airlines, so I wonder if volume production can be justified by orders.

There may be sales to be had in Europe (but that's ATR territory), but in the USA none of the ten largest scheduled passengers carriers in the U.S. nor any of their regional subsidiaries operate turboprops in scheduled passenger service. Turboprops are dead in the major carrier U.S. market.

If I was Viking I'd stay away from the scheduled passengers carrier business. Stick with your niche of specialized and novel aircraft types. A big Q400 order from a major airline might look good on the books, until the airline goes bankrupt before payment.

I'd only be on board with kicking out the residents of Ward's Island if all the houses remain and are converted into a really cute district of indie shops, cafes, restaurants, and other cultural uses. NO CORPORATE CHAINS.

I'd only be on board with kicking out the residents of Ward's Island if all the houses remain and are converted into a really cute district of indie shops, cafes, restaurants, and other cultural uses. NO CORPORATE CHAINS.

That's an interesting notion, a way to preserve the quaint community feel, while addressing the issue of generally (not exclusively) very affluent residents with very favourable land lease terms.

I actually see merit in retaining the unique flavour of Ward's Island while addressing the same issue.

I wonder, if residential uses were retained, about the gov't buying the houses (the land is government) and shifting the tenure to rent-geared to income, but within a mixed income context.

So, the rich folks can stay, but if you're earning $300,000 per year, you get to pay $90,000 per year in rent ($7,500 per month) plus utilities. That's 30% of household income.

But if you earn $50,000, in theory, you get to pay $15,000 in annual rent or $1,250 per month. There could be some floors put in to make sure its not a total giveaway, as well as to reflect different sizes of buildings.

Existing 'tenants' could stay, but if they choose to exit, the first few units to come up would be prioritized for families in need of affordable housing.

Last edited:
You never fail to disappoint with your hyperbolic statements that are not grounded in reality.
Say what you want but I was biking and got caught in the rain at humber bay, went for the closest coffee shop. Ended up on a swing because all the tables were full......
I was wrong, my $13 + tax drink was a lemonade not an ice coffee

1724099569183.png

Always willing to backup my claims, even if you doubt their authenticity!

1724099432160.png

1724099771656.png

Say what you want but I was biking and got caught in the rain at humber bay, went for the closest coffee shop. Ended up on a swing because all the tables were full......

View attachment 589431

View attachment 589430

View attachment 589437
Sounds like you're not a very rugged individual if you can't handle a little rain. Maybe unrestrained capitalism isn't for you.

View attachment 589431

View attachment 589430

View attachment 589437
Did you know the price of the drink before you bought it?

Also, which place is that? Very nice interior.

Did you know the price of the drink before you bought it?

Also, which place is that? Very nice interior.
The atmosphere was great just hated the seating/layout but it makes sense considering the area is surprisingly a ghost town outside the summer.

Sounds like you're not a very rugged individual if you can't handle a little rain. Maybe unrestrained capitalism isn't for you.
I never claimed to be, Little do you know I wasn't alone that day, hence the pit stop....

Like I said above, the business would be pretty seasonal especially so if you need a ferry or a long trek to get there. Just like a ski resort prices are going to be high enough to cover the slow season

I'm never a fan of kicking other people down who might have a good thing that we don't all have. If I can't have it, neither can you is asinine thinking. I know a few Island residents and they're not rich financiers, but just normal folks.

Back