The Island is already mostly a park. This small airport is functional now and should be kept. I would say that Pickering lands are better left natural.

I fully endorse this sentiment. (Not that that means much)

They've flown a few charter flights to Myrtle Beach before. So this isn't anything new. The problem is those flights weren't full.

They'll have to minimize baggage (one 20kg bag + one golf bag max) or passengers (45-50pax) or else they will run into the same issues that have happened every christmas with their direct Halifax flights where they've spent tens (maybe hundreds) of thousands on shipping bags to Halifax that couldn't be put on the planes. Considering people would most likely be going down there for the sole reason to golf, Porter has to realize that they can't simply remove some golf bags if they go beyond weight limits or bulk out. It could (and probably will) be a nightmare in the making.

I'll ask my friends in operations if they have any plans to cap passenger loads. I'm sure they're hoping this will be the case, but considering the battle going on there between operations and office staff (basically a battle between maintaining a high quality service and revenue maximization), it wouldn't surprise me if they simply saw the dollar signs of fully sold out planes and then passed the buck off to the front line folks to deal with all the baggage issues. For a company's whose reputation is based on high quality customer service, I don't know why they put that at risk. It just doesn't make sense.

This might be a route where they could satisfy both groups.......I am not much of a golfer and don't go on the typical golf trips.....but many of my friends do and when they take a trip to Carolina for golf I always hear that of the frustrations casued by the lack of direct flights and how they would pay a premium if they did not have to stop and change planes.....perhaps Porter could provide that premium service, charge a bit more and be profitable with a 50 seat plane (well not actually take seats out but leave some seats unbooked).

More TPA Revelations

Not directly related to Porter Airlines, but another revealing article on the shroud of secrecy and lack of accountability that surrounds the Toronto Port Authority.

Raitt accused of expense abuse
She improperly approved her London trip, Port Authority's former chair says

Federal cabinet minister Lisa Raitt signed off on her own expenses on at least one occasion – more than $3,000 spent on a trip to London, England – when she was president and CEO of the Toronto Port Authority.

Raitt signed on the line reserved for the board chair on the February 2008 claim, according to correspondence with the agency's auditor, Deloitte & Touche LLP, obtained by the Star.

The Raitt file is the latest in a series of controversies that have dogged the port authority since its inception in 1999.

It has been accused of secrecy and a lack of both accountability and oversight. It has had to fend off allegations of an arrogant, insular culture, fuelled by complaints even by directors appointed by the Conservative government.

Trouble has followed the publicly owned agency, which operates at an arm's length from Ottawa, and has, until recently, lost money. It owns and operates the Toronto City Centre Airport, waterfront land, the marina and port operations, and in 2008 boasted its first-ever operating profit of $863,000.

"(The London trip) was not pre-approved and she signed off on it when I would not," Toronto lawyer Michele McCarthy, who was in her second term as chair in February 2008, said in an interview.

She says port authority policy requires the chair's signature, adding: "I was waiting for a justification of the expenses. ... Expenses are either right or wrong."

Documents also show nobody signed off on $50,000 spent at Harbour Sixty Steakhouse in the port authority building, including a $9,000 lunch for about 50 people, and another for $1,000 at a Sept. 11 "internal management lunch."

Other expense claims appear to bear Raitt's signature, and two unsigned claims for February 2008 have notes attached: "Chair refused to sign. No reason given."

The documents obtained by the Star do not provide a tally of questionable Raitt expenses.

The expenses cover eight months of 2008. On Sept. 9 of that year, Raitt took a leave of absence to run for the Conservatives in Halton, resigning after her win in October. She is natural resources minister.

Secrecy over her spending prompts NDP Olivia Chow (Trinity-Spadina) to ask: "Was she using the Toronto Port Authority to further her political career?"

Raitt declined comment.

CEO Alan Paul wrote the Star to say nobody had to sign off on the $50,000 hospitality expenses at Harbour Sixty because "the 2007 board unanimously approved the 2008 Operating Budget. The Chair of the Board (or the Chair of the Audit Committee) approves expenses from time to time."

McCarthy insists: "The CEO's expenses are required to be submitted to and approved by the Chair of the Board. Expenses are different from operating budget items. ... No Harbour Sixty was ever in that budget. They just used it."

Paul says he "believes" Raitt's expenses were tabled in the House earlier this year. But a freedom of information request by Chow shows 2007-08 hospitality expenses of about $30,000, with no details. No mention of a $50,000 Harbour Sixty tab, nor a $9,000 lunch.

McCarthy was not the only chair to raise questions about Raitt in 2008. Toronto investment manager Chris Henley, who became chair that December, asked for a meeting "to review the President and CEO's expenses" with auditor Steve Stewart and Paul. Henley summarized the findings in writing to Stewart.

On Jan. 7, 2009, Stewart replied to Henley by email: "I concur with the accuracy of the observations that you have noted."

Henley told Stewart: "When we asked why (Raitt) signed the (London) expense claim, we did not get a satisfactory answer."

"It's all muddy," says Henley, who was allowed only 90 minutes with the file. "The issue for me is to get the facts in a proper and thorough manner, and reviewed by a proper independent party."

He adds: "Why did she sign when it was supposed to be the chair? What other expenses were incurred? ... What's their magnitude, and what are they related to?"

Paul told Henley the $9,000 covered a Quarter Century Club lunch. Who was there, asks Henley.

In January 2009, Mark McQueen, president of the Wellington Fund, became chair of a new, larger board. His election followed 10 months of turmoil over board governance.

The Star interviewed three of four directors who, earlier this year, wrote to Auditor General Sheila Fraser and Transport Minister John Baird over alleged irregularities. They include McCarthy, the lone provincial appointee who's in bank regulatory work, and federal Conservative nominees Henley, who owns investment firm Capitalcorp, and Douglas Reid, a business strategy expert who teaches in the Queen's University MBA program. The latter two left the board in August. David Gurin, former Metro Toronto planning commissioner appointed last December by the city, declined comment.

They asked Fraser for a special examination of the port authority.

Without naming Raitt, they say there was "at least one instance where a member of management approved their own expenses for payment contrary to TPA policy." Further, they say of the post audit report and draft financial statements for 2008, "we were concerned to read in (the) conclusion, the auditors did not uncover any errors of irregularities (or) non-compliance with regulatory or accounting disclosure requirements."

Deloitte spokesperson Jacqui D'Eon says the firm has a "professional obligation" of confidentiality and would not comment on the revelations in the documents.

Fraser replied she didn't have a mandate to conduct a special examination; Baird ignored their letter.

Reid says McCarthy "had been pushing back on management expenses. ... Lisa lived quite well." In the (2008) board climate of tumult, "who, then, was approving Lisa Raitt's expenses?"

Earlier this year, McQueen insisted the Harbour Sixty expenses had been approved by a board that included McCarthy, Henley and Reid. Chris Day, Baird's press secretary, said: "We have been assured by the Toronto Port Authority all expenses and hospitality policies were followed."

Source

Why is it viewed as a lack of accountability or secrecy? The Chair didn't approve expenses and the appropriate documentation was filed with the auditor - which is how The Star found out about it.

Let's not taint an entire agency because of one bad individual. If a director did this at a hospital, would we consider shutting down the hospital?

Used Porter for a weekend getaway to Chicago this weekend. It was hands-down the most hassle free and enjoyable flight into the U.S. I've ever taken. Flights were about 90% full both ways. Highly recommend Porter once again.

If there was any negative, it'd have to be a ticket agent on the Toronto side. Although he wasn't really rude, he seemed like a bitter ex-Air Canada employee by being somewhat dismissive and condescending. This sort of thing stands out when all other employees are exceptional. Porter needs to keep this sort of thing in check. (Employees from other companies that are fraught with attitude problems can infect your company very easily).

^ what did he look like? Did you get a name? Which part of the ticket counter did you go to? A bit of a tip, if you get the agent on the far right side (when you're facing the counter) you're getting the lead agent. Sometimes they're stressed because they have a lot on their plate, but you always know you're getting quick service and any issues will be immediately addressed properly.

Most of my friends are these people or in other supervisor roles within the operations/Customer Service staff.

I haven't worked there since February, but when I was there we didn't have any ex-AC employees. We had a bunch of former Canjet employees and a couple who retired from British Airways and United, but oddly, never someone from AC.

He wasn't especially rude and did nothing specifically wrong so I don't want to get him in trouble here. He was just on the borderline of not fitting in with the behaviour of other fantastic frontline staff. The attitude needs a bit of adjustment. Just something I think they need to keep tabs on.

haha At some point I wrote "I wouldn't get him in trouble" but apparently I deleted it. No big deal. My experience is that these types of situations are rare at Porter. When I was there the staff was almost always pleasant with people. The only problems that would occur were when people didn't want to pay to switch flights or for having over-weight baggage, or if the flight had been delayed/cancelled and the passenger wanted to start an argument. When that happens usually it's the passenger that instigates, when really if they were cool with the situation the staff member would be far more likely to be helpful and help the passenger out.

All Runways Lead to Deluce

I thought this was interesting.

Porter loses its airport monopoly

Downtown Toronto facility will open to competitors, but new tenants will have to go through Porter CEO, who is the chief landlord

Brent Jang
Globe and Mail
Tuesday, Nov. 10, 2009

At Toronto City Centre Airport, all runways lead to Robert Deluce.

The chief executive officer of fast-growing Porter Airlines Inc. said yesterday that the doors will swing open to rivals next year at the airport, located on an island near Toronto's downtown business core.

The twist is that any competitors seeking to be tenants will need to apply to the airport terminal's chief landlord - none other than Mr. Deluce.

The aviation veteran heads a private company, City Centre Terminal Corp., that is building a $50-million terminal at the airport, where Porter faces losing its monopoly on scheduled flights next fall.

"Porter will be the primary tenant because of the amount of activity that we have," he said in an interview, estimating that the airport will handle more than one million Porter passengers next year.

Launched three years ago, Porter has grown to employ more than 800 staff and now has 11 destinations in its regional network, expanding even during the recession.

Mr. Deluce said he knows the day will come when Porter must deal with rivals at the airport, so he reckons that the new 14,000-square-metre terminal might as well diversify its revenue stream and open itself up to other carriers on the hunt to lease check-in counters and other space.

He emphasized that the terminal is a separate entity from Porter, though they have the same parent company. "The terminal will certainly be receptive to expressions of interest from other parties who may choose to locate here," said Mr. Deluce, whose son, Michael, is Porter's executive vice-president and chief commercial officer.

Michael Deluce said the new terminal will have 10 gates for planes. U.S. customs preclearance is slated to be in place by the fall of 2010.

Last week, Continental Airlines Inc. complained that "there are currently no gates or other necessary facilities available to permit scheduled services by any U.S. or Canadian airline other than Porter."

Continental wants to offer Canada-U.S. service with Bombardier Q400s, the same type of aircraft operated by Porter. Privately owned Porter now has 16 of the turboprops, and plans to add two more by the end of November and another two by next April.

Air Canada Jazz is also seeking access to the airport. A terminal company controlled by Robert Deluce ousted Jazz from the site in February, 2006, but the Halifax-based regional carrier is keen to resume flights in 2010.

The Toronto Port Authority, a federal agency that oversees the airport, announced last month that it will be reviewing how to allocate remaining slots for takeoffs and landings. Porter is forecast to have 120 daily slots next spring, with 47 still up for grabs.

The terminal's first phase is set to open in January and another wing is scheduled for completion by September.

Mr. Deluce said he is welcoming applications from "prospective carriers and tenants" to use his spacious terminal, including Jazz, which held talks in 2006 to lease space from Stolport Corp., a property development firm at the island airport.

"The whole process of putting in infrastructure isn't something that can happen overnight," Mr. Deluce said.

Why is it viewed as a lack of accountability or secrecy? The Chair didn't approve expenses and the appropriate documentation was filed with the auditor - which is how The Star found out about it.

Let's not taint an entire agency because of one bad individual. If a director did this at a hospital, would we consider shutting down the hospital?

From what I've read in the past year or so the TPA appears to be dysfunctional at several levels and should be investigated by the Feds.

From what I've read in the past year or so the TPA appears to be dysfunctional at several levels and should be investigated by the Feds.

That's a rather blanket statement coming from someone who would be happy to see them out of business as soon as possible.

I am all for a federal audit actually. From all that I've read the system worked. Their own internal auditors caught bad expenses and challenged a politically powerful boss to pay up. That's more than I'd expect would occur inside any City of Toronto or even federal government department.

I am glad to see Porter lose their monopoly. Most likely on US routes at first. It's more choice for the consumer. That's great for Toronto and for the Island airport (more business for them). Now that Continental is a Star Alliance partner, that's a good deal for those of us who like to collect the points. There's no way they could compete with Porter's service though.

And it's good for Mr. Deluce. What he doesn't make through his airline, he'll make by renting out his terminal. Now there's a smart businessman.

That's a rather blanket statement coming from someone who would be happy to see them out of business as soon as possible.

I've strongly opposed the Island Airport for various reasons, that's no secret here, but I don't wish Porter out of business. I used to hope they would fail and that the whole idea of an airport here would be re-visited but that simply wasn't meant to be. The airport is there and it's not going anywhere, I've come to terms with it. Admittedly I still find myself clenching my teeth on occasion when I read their financials and expansion plans but I will give credit where credit is due. Deluce is a smart, aggressive business player and I really do respect that. By all accounts on this board and from friends who have flown from there, Porter runs a very slick, efficient operation and people love it.

And it's good for Mr. Deluce. What he doesn't make through his airline, he'll make by renting out his terminal. Now there's a smart businessman.

I believe I called this months ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was enough demand for additional gates beyond the first 10. I know that the land that Deluce's "other company" has leased is nearly maxed out though, or at least that's what I recall from looking at the blueprints for the new terminal. So ultimately I'm not sure how much larger this can get.

I also learned a few other tidbits this weekend, but I don't think I can share them yet. Once they're announced I'll try and expand on them.

Please be modification of tri agreement for bae 146s! Longer range, more passengers, quieter. We can only wish! ( I know impossible under Miller but still)

Back