News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Took a recent camping trip in Bon Echo provincial park; for those into camping, a wonderful spot, great wildlife, hiking, canoeing and swimming (during warmer weather!).

In any event, I avoided the big highways going to and from where possible; and so passed though many small communities in central and eastern Ontario.

I will try to post some photos, though I don't have many as I was driving and its a 4 hour trip from T.O. to the park, not including food stops.

But I thought I would share some observations of the various communities, and invite others with thoughts or photos to share!

Peterborough: Not a small town, but my first stop. Been there many times and note the following, downtown is not doing bad, community over all has a nice feel, and a whole lot of train tracks (they can't all be in use, I don't think) .....

They have a Sears in their burbs....made me laugh, straight out of the 1950's, you'd expect to run into Wally and The Beav there.

What's with the LCBO situation there? 4 LCBOs in a community of 76,000! But not one of them is open after 8pm, and many close at 6pm (on weekdays)!

Havelock

What a tiny little town, also with a bunch of railway tracks. This used to be decent sized centre for CP I gather, the old train station is still standing and has a restaurant (if you can call it that) in it. No passenger trains stop here anymore, but we actually saw a train from CP's Kawartha Lakes railway stored in the railyard in town (which looks large enough to do a fare chunk of business). I see that the tracks only go a little bit beyond Havelock......does anyone know if they ever went to Ottawa? Seems like an odd place for a railway terminus, particularly with a good sized yard.

The main street here is quite moribund, not much going on at all, one gas station, one Subway ....

Madoc & Marmora

Both incredibly cute little towns, well kept, with viable main streets and a concentration of businesses, supermarkets, lcbos, post offices, restaurants.... Madoc has a great little bakery, makes yummy butter tarts and brownies! :)

Kaledar

Don't blink, yes it is just that Shell station, that's the town

Northbrook

For a village, it has a Foodland, and LCEEB, A Beer Store and a Bank; of course they all close at six or earlier and the LCBO is closed on Sundays......

Its quaint, nothing fancy, except for the traffic light pedestrian signal with looks slightly star trek'ish and actually changes the light the moment you touch it!

Toronto take note!

On the way home......

Napanee:

Plenty of big box crap on the way in by the 401; downtown looks to be on life support. Not as bad as Brantford, not that much is boared up; but its way too quiet, and lacks any signature retail that might appeal.

Was gonna eat there on the way back; but only 2 places open in D/T one of which was Timmies; the other ....well, let's just say was even less appealing!

Shame; some really nice historical architecture, just feels neglected.

Trenton

Its an airforce base! That's the whole town. (well not quite, but close)

They had Russian Antanov aircraft parked there, two of 'em. They is big planes!

Belleville

Much bigger than Napanee and has oodles of crap on the #62 corridor to the 401. Downtown again has great bones, but feels like its struggling, not much open, nor many people around on a Sunday at Noon.

Colbourne

Tiny town, gets prize for most innovative streetscape. They have a row of trees elevated in an elevated planters made of Canadian shield type stone, very natural look, yet maintained. Bonus points. Not much there, but they've done very well with what they have. Great little park space too.

Coburg

Biggest surprise. Holy geeze, 18,000 people.....and a downtown that would put most Cities in Ontario to shame. It feels like a well managed city 10x that size. Art galleries and patios galore, gorgeous streetscapes, addresses the water quite well, tremendous historical preservation, and a great mix of retail.

Port Hope, very similar to Coburg, very nice, somewhat smaller. Very nice mainstreets, doesn't make full use of the river or Lake

I see that the tracks only go a little bit beyond Havelock......does anyone know if they ever went to Ottawa? Seems like an odd place for a railway terminus, particularly with a good sized yard.

It used to look like this
map_ontario_1884.JPG

The part between Glen Tay (near Perth) and Tweed was closed in the 1970s and Tweed to Havelock closed in the 1980s.

Here's what it looks like right now (this is from east of Kaladar, my pics)

tct-1.jpg

tct2.jpg

Here are a few pics I took this summer at Bon Echo

The Narrows

bonecho1.jpg

Mazinaw Rock (don't try cliff jumping off of here :eek:)

BONECHO2.jpg

View from up top

bonecho3.jpg

Thanks, Waterloo

Thanks Waterloo, that old map is great, I have saved it for my collection!

I see the line effectively did get to Ottawa via Smiths Falls.

Now that you have posted it, I see that the Trans Canada Trail, just south of Kaledar is the old ROW. Glad to see it hasn't been wasted, shame we could have the tracks AND the trail through there. Though I don't wonder if that's what Mr. Del Maestro from Peterborough has in mind. (not that it'll happen)

Is the ROW west from Kaledar in tact as well?

Great Pics from Bon Echo, I will have to post a series I have of the Rock at Sunrise.....

Nice thread, Northern Light. Post what pics you have for sure.

Most of Peterborough's old rail lines have been ripped out and converted to trails. The lines that are still there are in use. That Sears used to look very 70s, with exterior panels in various shades of orange and brown. Lansdowne Place has an expansion under construction, basically doubling in size...and complete with cheesy clock tower. The LCBOs are open until 9 or 10 on weekends, depending on which one (this is important information!).

Havelock actually has a real downtown main street, it's a block off the highway and most people don't even know it exists. It's pretty dead. There's a rail spur that runs north from Havelock to the mines near Stoney Lake.

Agreed about Marmora, it's a great little village. If you're in the area again, Warkworth, Stirling, and Brighton are worth checking out.

It's spelled Cobourg...and it's so great because of its planners :D

Northern Light, I'll encourage you as well, to post any pictures you have of the rock at Bon Echo. It's an impressive landform. I know this is an urbanforum, but a few pics of places like this are good to see.

For any rail geeks, the rail yard at Havelock is surprisingly large. This rail line was apparently of quite some importance, years ago, when mining was a bigger thing in the area. And the restaurant in the old station, while perhaps nothing too special, was a welcome stop on a trip back from Eastern Ontario. They serve wings in many varieties. The "patio" has its own charm, adjacent to the rail yard(no I'm not joking).

... It's spelled Cobourg...and it's so great because of its planners :D

Cobourg is a wonderful little town, although, with all respect, perhaps the planners didn't put the great beach there. Victoria Hall is a truly impressive structure, and the main street is indeed full of historic structures (real, not faux), which are still in use. Somehow the town has resisted some of the hollowing out of its downtown which is unfortunately seen in way too many other towns of similar size. They are doing something right!

Port Hope, just down the road, is quite nice too, as long as you don't mind a house that glows in the dark!

Napanee:

Plenty of big box crap on the way in by the 401; downtown looks to be on life support. Not as bad as Brantford, not that much is boared up; but its way too quiet, and lacks any signature retail that might appeal.

Was gonna eat there on the way back; but only 2 places open in D/T one of which was Timmies; the other ....well, let's just say was even less appealing!

Shame; some really nice historical architecture, just feels neglected.

Well, when it comes to places to eat (or take out), don't forget Avril's fave.

Bon Echo at Sunrise

picture.php

Bon Echo at Sunrise

picture.php

picture.php

Cobourg is a wonderful little town, although, with all respect, perhaps the planners didn't put the great beach there. Victoria Hall is a truly impressive structure, and the main street is indeed full of historic structures (real, not faux), which are still in use. Somehow the town has resisted some of the hollowing out of its downtown which is unfortunately seen in way too many other towns of similar size. They are doing something right!

Port Hope, just down the road, is quite nice too, as long as you don't mind a house that glows in the dark!
Well I guess we can't take credit for the beach...

As much as there's a rivalry between the two towns, Port Hope has an outstanding downtown as well.

My photos

3 of my Bon Echo photos are above.

See some additional ones from that sunrise series in my album.

For the life of me, I swear I posted them last night, all in one post.

When I come to UT this morning, I see 2 posts, both blank.

Then I log in, look at my album, come back to this thread and see 3 posts with the pictures.

:p

Back