wyliepoon

Member Bio
Reaction score
Link to article

CN TOWER TO DROP FROM LOFTY PERCH
Topped By Burj Dubai; New Building Set To Take Crown As World's Tallest
Kelly Patrick, National Post
Published: Wednesday, August 22, 2007

For 31 years, Toronto's CN Tower has held the title of tallest freestanding structure on the planet.

Now the engineering marvel, wonder of the modern world and symbol of the city is poised to officially fall to second place.

The Burj Dubai, a glittering office and condo tower in the booming emirate on the Persian Gulf, is set to eclipse the CN Tower's 553-metre height in the next week or two, the building's project manager said yesterday.

"We think we'll be surpassing it by the end of this month," said George Efstathiou, managing partner with Skidmore, Owings and Merrill, the Chicago-based architecture firm that designed the Burj Dubai. "Becoming the tallest free-standing structure on Earth is a pretty big deal."

Although plans for several buildings taller than the CN Tower have made headlines in the past few years, the Burj Dubai will be the first to turn that paper dream into physical reality.

As of Sunday, the building had reached 145 floors and 536 metres.

Construction is proceeding swiftly; workers are putting up one floor roughly every three days, Mr. Efstathiou said.

The Burj Dubai will boast 165 floors and a height of about 800 metres when completed. The building's precise height is a closely guarded secret, Mr. Efstathiou said.

It is no secret, however, that the Burj Dubai will dethrone the CN Tower.

The architect who spearheaded the CN Tower's design in the early 1970s said yesterday he never dreamed his record would stand for more than three decades.

"I think it's great for [Dubai], too bad for us," Ned Baldwin said in an interview from New York City. "But we've had a heck of a run. I mean, who would have thunk it? Thirty-odd years as the tallest in the world? I thought it would be maybe five years."

The CN Tower was completed on June 26, 1976. Ever since, the 181-storey communications tower has been an icon, a key feature on the city's skyline and a source of international bragging rights.

Still, some observers said yesterday that Toronto's identity is no longer bound up in the singular achievement of building the planet's tallest structure -- and that means losing the record will not be a serious blow to the city.

"We don't view our success now as the city with the tallest building," said Ian Chodikoff, editor of Canadian Architect magazine. "We're probably luckier to say we're the city with the most diverse types of buildings or the most diverse population."

Adam Vaughan, the councillor whose ward includes the CN Tower, echoed that sentiment.

"I think it's like the SkyDome -- the achievement has sort of worn off. It's part of the civic skyline in an emotional way, but I think the sense of wow left a while ago," he said.

Officials at the CN Tower are taking their impending fall to second place in stride.

"When the time comes and the building is complete, we will congratulate the Burj Dubai project on their unique achievement," Jack Robinson, chief operating officer of the CN Tower, said in an e-mail.

"For now, we remain proud of the 30-year-plus record Canada's national tower has held as world's tallest, and will continue to celebrate the architectural marvel and wonder that the CN Tower represents to Toronto, Canada and the rest of the world."

As expensive as it is, one can go into the CN Tower. I'm not so sure about the Burj.

The Burj Dubai will have a few observation decks I believe.

Anyway, the CN Tower had a very long run, and it won't be any less spectacular when it's surpassed.

yes, but we have the tallest freestanding lego structure. take that!!

Speaking of which, since when did CN Tower have a new website? I recall going there last month and seeing the old site that's been up for at least the past 5 years.

Sadly, it is not a freestanding lego structure. There are supporting wires.

hey! those wires don't hold the lego structure upright, they hold the planet to the lego structure!

They're guy wires, and Chairman Mao said women hold up half the sky, so they're very important. Take away the guys and half the sky falls.

Speaking of Chicago, some of the CN Tower's magic wore off for me as soon as I got a good close look up at the Sears Tower, which is basically the same height.

It's the antennae, I tell you...Sears' pair looks eerily similar to CN's, and they soar just as super-high. The CN "tower" became inherently less impressive to me than the Sears "tower" - which is a real building.

I don't find Burj Dubai especially impressive either for that same reason. It looked great on the renderings, but when I saw some of the diagrams and found out that the top 250m or so are basically just a glorified spire, it was a bit of a letdown. Okay, so there are technically a few "floors" with "offices" in the steel part, but it looks like the top is mostly just communications equipment and the spire. Heck, its observation deck is the same height as the CN Tower's. I don't consider the top part any more of a "building" than the CN Tower.

The Chicago Spire to me is almost as impressive. I think the highest occupied floor will be almost the same, and the entire building (just about) is livable space, it's not a building with a 300m tower/spire on top. And the Al Burj... now *that* is truly impressive, I hope it gets built.

Back