That is a pretty interetsing idea. My only comment is that there is quite a grade differential between east and westbound lanes for that stretch of 33rd Ave, I am not sure how easy it would be to punch in new intersections.

Still though, I like the idea, there must be some way to incorporate some of it at least.
Good points - maybe there’s ways to incorporate the grade change into a parking level. With a compressed road right-of-way width, there’s a few options.

More significant road blocks:
  • Acceptance of the city and community that less vehicle speed and capacity is actually beneficial to solve congestion, particularly if in return we open up more land for development along 33rd.
  • Community “ownership” over turning useless non-park green space along 33rd into something more productive would be a gong show of community opposition.
Solutions to Marda Loops congestion issues are totally feasible technically and relatively cheap. The problem is that solutions would also require a mind shift away from total car dominance & inefficient land use design, which mostly are political problems not technical ones.

Same with 26 Ave with this project, opportunity and capacity to turn it into a solid bicycle/bus corridor. Could cycle track the whole length, creating a great safe and fast bicycle corridor in the booming SW.

Would require losing a few parking spots and adding a bit of retail (along with more density) - so some heads would explode.

Go further and throttle/slow the weird 1970s arterial design to the west of the interchange by integrated it to the fabric of the neighbourhood with additional signals and controls (yellow). Don't green-wave the signals. This reduced the speed and breaks up the traffic, while also opening up higher density retail/housing options along the corridor (purple areas).

A few hundred more units along a transit corridor and a new regional park with the Richmond Green Regional Park plans, all walking distance from Marda Loop. A new Richmond Road parkside retail strip is formed.

Sorry to reply to an old message, but this jumped out at me. I think this arterial road is actually 33rd, not Richmond Road (although I am guilty of calling it that). It is 33rd all the way west to the Richmond Road/29th St intersection, and it dates from the early 80s when the Crowchild/33rd interchange was first built.

But, that said, as much as I love my memories of walking my dog and playing with my kid along that green strip, I agree it would be better for it to be a real street with buildings fronting it, especially given the redevelopment plans for Richmond Green. And we do need to slow it; nobody drives 50 along there, more like 60-70.

Last edited:
As Surrealplaces would say, it’s Driller time!
IMG_6388.jpeg

This isn't the place for this, but 33rd being a disaster for cars is actually a good thing. Makes it a destination rather than thoroughfare and it gets locals to walk/bike/ride transit to get to 33rd and 34th rather than drive. Not the worst for 33rd and 34th to become a retail/business hub while 26th sees some more development like this. I guess I did end up tying it back into this thread.
It sure would help if they could actually go back to their roots and bring the Loop back into Marda Loop. That would be a game changer.

Back