I don't know why so many of these projects insist on a reclad. Like, leave the facade alone and put in double paned windows. Knock out a few panels for balcony's if really necessary. Add insulation. These facades can't be at the end of their lifecycle. I just don't buy it.

Went by on the bus the other day, looks like these are the colours they're going to use to paint over the exterior.View attachment 574139
I actually don’t mind the colour pallet. Though I do agree that all these redevelopment projects need to be tearing out these perfectly fine, inoffensive facades. Some fresh windows and balconies already add a modern touch, throw in some ground level street interaction upgrades and boom 💥

I don't know why so many of these projects insist on a reclad. Like, leave the facade alone and put in double paned windows. Knock out a few panels for balcony's if really necessary. Add insulation. These facades can't be at the end of their lifecycle. I just don't buy it.
I think a couple of the conversions downtown will leave the facades mostly as is and just replace windows/curtain wall. In order to qualify for the grant it may be a expectation to have a big investment on the facade. This one doesnt have a grant and the precast panels should have plenty of life left so I'm surprised they would reclad. Also kind of surprised they are adding floors - very expensive and i would think it would have been better to add residential density over the podium on the west side of the site instead of ontop of eq building

Back