Seen on LinkedIn, a rendering of what is planned for their lot on the other side of 6th Ave:
1723337287844.png

I wish these architects would stop trying to butter up their projects. Just be honest. “Hey, we have a limited budget and don’t really give a shit about how affordable housing looks. This is the best we got.”

I'm okay with it. I wouldn't want every multi-family project to look like this, but I've always been a function over form person. I get that architects may be able to make something better with a low budget by way of color choices and possibly general design, but the options are limited if cost is a main factor. Some things that would make this look better would be:
- more glass
- nicer materials
- more articulate or varied massing
- maybe choice of colors or patterns?
The first three of those things are going to cost more, and because it's affordable housing I'm okay with it, if it means some cheaper housing for the tenant.

I read the modular part, so will this be built the same way the Alt Hotel in EV was built? I actually really like the Alt Hotel. Your point about colour is dead on. If this was all black with slightly bigger windows and maybe a slightly different massing I think it would have been a slam dunk.

The massing is the issue. I've never seen a cube so cubed.
It's about as basic a cube as you can get, and maybe adding some articulation here and there so it's at least like Homespace on 12th would change that. Not sure what the cost difference would be though. I'm wondering this because they've already done with one on the north side of 6th with a design that has more diversity, so why not do the same for the second one? Unless costs have gone up to a point where they are trying to save money perhaps?

It's about as basic a cube as you can get, and maybe adding some articulation here and there so it's at least like Homespace on 12th would change that. Not sure what the cost difference would be though. I'm wondering this because they've already done with one on the north side of 6th with a design that has more diversity, so why not do the same for the second one? Unless costs have gone up to a point where they are trying to save money perhaps?
If it is going together like lego, you can surely have some blocks protrude and intrude slightly for minimal cost. Or just have one less unit per floor and have it step back in a corner. That would be very interesting visually but not add anything but the crane operator looking twice at the drawing versus once.

Back