• So So

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Terrible

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
That would be terrible.

I saw the tower earlier today with the sun on it, and it looked good imho. We'll have a better idea when more spandrel is up, but so far, it's not as bad as I was expected.

I spoke to the former retail planner for the developer and he said the Shoppers got cut.

Originally the plan was for a Loblaw's Urban Market branded grocery store and a Shopper's. Shopper's Drug Mart is a division of Loblaw's. The new plan is for a Real Canadian Superstore. Superstore is also a division of Loblaw's and every Superstore includes a pharmacy that replicates the product offerings of a Shopper's. Essentially by replacing an Urban Market + Shopper's with a Superstore Loblaw's is offering an identical product but under a consolidated brand. The only difference is that some Shopper's are open late night but that is becoming a rare occurrence so really East Village isn't losing anything through this rebranding.

22 k sq ft liquor store is really big isn't it?

I must not drink enough to realize how big they really are.

Edit - Notice its bigger than the Winners within the same complex.

Last edited:
Yep, 22K sq ft is huge for a liquor store, not only larger than a Safeway or CO-OP liquor store, it's slightly larger than the size of the Mission Safeway.
That's an awfully large store. I know the drop in centre is right around the corner, but is the market really that large to support a liquor of that size?

Originally the plan was for a Loblaw's Urban Market branded grocery store and a Shopper's. Shopper's Drug Mart is a division of Loblaw's. The new plan is for a Real Canadian Superstore. Superstore is also a division of Loblaw's and every Superstore includes a pharmacy that replicates the product offerings of a Shopper's. Essentially by replacing an Urban Market + Shopper's with a Superstore Loblaw's is offering an identical product but under a consolidated brand. The only difference is that some Shopper's are open late night but that is becoming a rare occurrence so really East Village isn't losing anything through this rebranding.

Exactly this. Originally it was to be a combination of City Market, Shoppers, Joe Fresh Clothing. By moving to the Superstore brand, these other stores have been swallowed up through what is the normal product delivery of Superstore.

And how is Superstore at 77k? How big are they typically? The only source that I was able to find was wikipedia and it said they can go up to 220k which would make this one a fairly small Superstore if they do indeed go to more than 200k in size. Just wondering...

I suspect it'll be more of an urban format Superstore. The Superstore at Sunridge for example is 130,000 sq, so 77,000 sq ft would be smaller, but still quite large.....still larger than a typical Safeway which is around 40,000sq ft.
And how is Superstore at 77k? How big are they typically? The only source that I was able to find was wikipedia and it said they can go up to 220k which would make this one a fairly small Superstore if they do indeed go to more than 200k in size. Just wondering...

I have Been Watching this Project Off/On.over time. i have to B Fair in saying I had Reservations as to just what was
Going to Get Built.Could B Dead Wrong but I came away with the Views that a Lot was on Hold till a Later Time.
Yes/No? Will See What Happens Later, Also saw the Remarks about a Liquoir Store etc. Interesting.I Remember
there was a Liquoir Store in the Cities East End on the North Side of 5th Ave where the Fly Over is Out of the East
End. where that Hotel was. Both are Gone now, If It Happens I can B Interested to See how it Turns Out Considering
that there is the Drop In Shelter Near By.

The Superstore should have occupied both retail spaces on the top floor (a combined 99,481 sq ft) and the Olympia Liquor should be in the unoccupied 11,475 sq ft location on the main floor

Last edited:
Are you saying "should" as in "shoulda, woulda, coulda"... or as in you have actual information and that is what will be happening?

Back