You might want to check his story again, I don't think Arris existed in 2013 😉
Arris was completed in 2008 I believe. It was certainly operational when I moved here 11 years ago.

Oh shit, we’re talking about Arriva. 🤦🏻‍♂️

IMG_5747.jpg
IMG_5749.jpg

For the love of god, did we need to extend the amount of ROW for cars again here? Seems to be what the City does with new projects on one-way streets downtown or in the Beltline. Oversize an already oversized lane. Everything is good on this building it turned out really nice, but we have to address the car sewers surrounding it.

Last edited:
For the love of god, did we need to extend the amount of ROW for cars again here? Seems to be what the City does with new projects on one-way streets downtown or in the Beltline. Oversize an already oversized lane. Everything is good on this building it turned out really nice, but we have to address the car sewers surrounding it.
Transportation still has too much power at the City.

Has there ever been talk of raising the street level once all buildings are raised?
Not sure that's really feasible, the extra soil pressure on the foundations would likely be detrimental and it would be extremely disruptive to the area. It worked in Eau Claire and East Village because those were empty areas, East Vic Park is mostly built out now.

I love the podium and think it's a great development. But let's have a moment of silence for the Curtis block:
View attachment 362030

Torn down in part because City policy at the time required a wider ROW for potential Macleod Trail expansion.
Sure hope they don't add any more lanes to Macleod....

Sure hope they don't add any more lanes to Macleod....
While that was the original intent of these bylawed setbacks, now they are used for improvements to the public realm. You see it in place along the 1st Street SE side, with Keynote, Nuera and Sasso/Vetro, even with Upten as well. Maybe it would be better if we used an existing traffic lane to implement this, rather than developable land, but at least we get wide sidewalks and boulevard trees:
1637250256854.png

Back