Interesting article. Certainly I dont think it makes any sense to compare an Event Centre or BMO, to community rec facilities or the green line. The first 2, while having local benefit, are economic drivers in that they bring the outside to Calgary. Those short term lifts that fill hotels, restaurants, ect... Community rec facilities, parks, affordable housing public transit ect are all annual operational losses that you take on to provide ease and quality of life to your citizens...but they dont directly help you economically, it's more of a wholistic vision that hopefully drives people to move here . If all we ever did was invest in those, the city would be "boring", but operate well. If it was the inverse, we'd be a tourist mecca but a horseshit place to live. You need to do both.

True. I'll go to the grave that the Olympics were a huge missed opportunity for the city, given what we already have in play to use, the external investment that we'll never see now. Just a calamity in how it was rolled out
Almost no venues from the 88 olympics would have been suitable. It would have cost us tens of billions. Yeah, one big missed opportunity.

Almost no venues from the 88 olympics would have been suitable. It would have cost us tens of billions. Yeah, one big missed opportunity.

nothing in this sentence is true, but go off king!

They'd have had to build a village, everything else was existing facilities with some renovations that were already planned. Arenas outside calgary would have supplemented (edm/rd).

Had a chance to walk through the new BMO as part of Sneak a Peak at Stampede tonight. I have to say, the upper levels are beautifully done and the outdoor plaza works well as a gathering place. The only thing I didn't understand was in the new A halls they have put the washrooms outside the halls. Not a big deal for Stampede but for a ticketed event it seems extremely odd to me that you would force your patrons to leave the venue just to go to the washroom and then line up again for re-entry.

They also decided against putting concessions in the A halls and appear to have removed the concessions that used to exist in the B and C halls. Not providing anywhere to purchase food inside the halls also seems like an extremely odd decision. I suppose whoever rents the space in then on the hook for food concessions but does having a food stall on the floor without a kitchen area to cook mean we are doomed to sandwiches and potato chip bags for all future events?

1720417011112.png

Source: https://www.reddit.com/user/PaleontologistLazy67/

Is that lawn the final landscaping? Or is it temporary for Stampede, with a more complete and enticing design to come?

Edit: NVM. Looking back at the old DP submission (page 13 of this thread) that appears to be it.

Last edited:

Back