Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 89 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
I've heard they are getting a larger footprint in Vic Park. We'll soon find out.

That would be good news as some of the site constraints were factors in some of the previous design negatives. I could see 5th st shifting east or being eliminated completely for that block. This would help the parkade issue and the small plaza space size. However, confidence it’s improved is low.

From what I remember the group working on the design last time requested 14th ave to be moved south but were denied. So it might be that the project is now going to include the land to the south the Stampede Headquarters building is currently situated on. If so it might be just that parkade will now be across the street to the south instead of being directly attached. This would be a massive win if so because the Arena won't need to have a flat wall against 12 ave any longer

Enough land for NEXT east?
I've always thought the Remington land (between the train tracks and 11th Ave, and West of the bus barns) would be a great place for NEXT. You could build a walkway over the tracks making the stadium/arena (and the Stampede) pedestrian accessible from 9th Ave. It would also allow parking on the North side of the tracks. More likely, 14th Ave gets moved.

They should build the new football stadium over the tracks between the EV and C&E. This would kill a lot of birds with one stone...

They should build the new football stadium over the tracks between the EV and C&E. This would kill a lot of birds with one stone...
I don't think the CFL makes enough money that someone will invest in something like that. I wish we got a new stadium similar to Winnipeg or Ottawa where it is smaller, but is used for CFL and CPL

I don't think the CFL makes enough money that someone will invest in something like that. I wish we got a new stadium similar to Winnipeg or Ottawa where it is smaller, but is used for CFL and CPL
Agreed - maybe someday if they can get a MLS franchise.

Fun fact: I was in a meeting with Ken King many moons ago, and this is what they were gunning for when discussing the (two) main tenants for a new stadium.
MLS will not expand to Canada again unfortunetly. MAybe if the CPL and MLS merge for a European Soccer pyramid with promotion/demotion which I think would be way better than what NA soccer does atm

MLS will not expand to Canada again unfortunetly. MAybe if the CPL and MLS merge for a European Soccer pyramid with promotion/demotion which I think would be way better than what NA soccer does atm

LOL, this was years ago, and at very high levels. Completely different situation at the time than 2023. Don't try and navigate the weeds too hard there.

Back