Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 91 65.5%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.5%

• Total voters
I found a design flaw. It has horizontal stairs within the seating bowl which results in a 2 tiered lower bowl. This is something you only see in small or old arenas like Westerner Park Arena in Red Deer and the original configuration of Northlands Coliseum in Edmonton.
Screenshot (39).png

Last edited:
The arena has a design flaw. It has horizontal stairs within the seating bowl which results in 2 tiered lower bowl. This is something you only see in small or old arenas like Westerner Park Arena in Red Deer and the original configuration of Northlands Coliseum in Edmonton.
View attachment 341536
The only reason I can find as to why they did this was to save space by moving the inner structure of main concourse as far inward as possible.

That is exactly what I was thinking when I typed it up. The only difference being this arena is more flawed than an entire theme park filled with living dinosaurs!

I also picture the city of Calgary as Dr. Hammond and CSEC as Dennis Nedry. The fate of the entertainment district lies in The Flames hands and they have butterfingers!!!

That is exactly what I was thinking when I typed it up. The only difference being this arena is more flawed than an entire theme park filled with living dinosaurs!

I also picture the city of Calgary as Dr. Hammond and CSEC as Dennis Nedry. The fate of the entertainment district lies in The Flames hands and they have butterfingers!!!

There’s plenty of dinosaurs at CSEC.

I actually wouldn't want the Videotron arena here. At first glance, Videotron looks good with it's slick space age look, but the ground level sucks, and is locked into the old 1980's early 90's style of a round arena in the middle of a massive parking lot. I suppose you could build the same arena but on top of a more street friendly interactive podium.

I actually wouldn't want the Videotron arena here. At first glance, Videotron looks good with it's slick space age look, but the ground level sucks, and is locked into the old 1980's early 90's style of a round arena in the middle of a massive parking lot. I suppose you could build the same arena but on top of a more street friendly interactive podium.

It actually has a rather nice park and plaza on one side . Plus more of the area around the arena can be redeveloped with the demolition of the next door Colisée Pepsi.

Screenshot (40).png
Screenshot (41).png

It actually has a rather nice park and plaza on one side . Plus more of the area around the arena can be redeveloped with the demolition of the next door Colisée Pepsi.

View attachment 341619View attachment 341620
I tend to agree with Surrealplaces, that the arena itself looks good, but the execution at ground level and around the arena is not good, and wasn't well thought out. TBH, I don't care much for the plaza and park, imo it pushes the arena even further from any kind of street life, guaranteeing it won't ever have any life around it unless there's a hockey game.

It's good that they can someday develop buildings around it, but that's kinda the same with every arena, including Calgary's, and actually Calgary's would be more likely to see surrounding development given the layout.

Back