Every time I walk past this block I think of how great it would be if it was the paint was sandblasted off and the brick restored. Change out the glass on the main floors and it would be a great heritage restoration to anchor 1st St SW. A lot of buildings along Stephen Avenue resembled this block during the 90s and look how great that area is now after land owners invested in some TLC. Same could be done here. Truman does nice projects but it would definitely be a shame to see this built here. I would much rather see Truman invest in restoring the building since they obviously own it already.

I wonder again why developers in this city are so enthusiastic to demolish buzzing community spots like these instead of the strip mall across the street. In this case, they would also remove the nice small retail bays. There are nine businesses in Western Block alone. This drawing shows two massive bays (or maybe a single combined one). A restaurant like D.O.P., a barber shop, and a tattoo place can't occupy this much space.

I wonder again why developers in this city are so enthusiastic to demolish buzzing community spots like these instead of the strip mall across the street. In this case, they would also remove the nice small retail bays. There are nine businesses in Western Block alone. This drawing shows two massive bays (or maybe a single combined one). A restaurant like D.O.P., a barber shop, and a tattoo place can't occupy this much space.
I'm not sure if the bays in the rendering are even retail. One would hope so, but yeah, even if they are retail, it's 9 smaller inexpensive bays swapped for one or two large expensive bays. These older semi run down buildings are cheap rental spaces that support businesses that need small inexpensive CRUs. It's similar to cheap housing stock that gets replaced, but more of a concern IMO. Cheap housing stock will eventually be replaced as buildings age, but in the case of retail the number of units is decreasing, and even after the building ages, it's not a like for like turnover.

It’s sad that I’m rooting againt number of developments because they’d be replacing something already good, when we have lots of empty lots or parking lots that could be developed
There’s the Moda designed proposal on 2nd St., the Tigerstead block, the Arlington proposal directly across from Tomkins park (where the little house based businesses are), and now this one on 10th Ave. and first Street. 😐
The upside is the proposals look to be solid so if it does happen it’s not a complete loss I suppose.

I've found a presentation video for Gallery by Truman. Say what you will about the replacement of the existing historical building, but it is definitely an improvement to the area.

The video also shows that there will be multiple retail units on the ground floor.

Creating a thread for this project, as more information has been posted here:
1658625174077.png

1658625189972.png

1658625208007.png

1658625224148.png

While it is a shame to lose the historic building, I think the podium looks great. I do not like the change in style for the tower though, would prefer to just see a consistent design for the whole height.

This is one of the best best proposals I’ve seen in ages. Wow. Probably the nicest looking highrise project since Telus Sky and Mackimmie Tower honestly. It will be a shame to lose the historic block there, and I’m usually a big advocate for keeping blocks like that… but damn. The tradeoff is pretty amazing imo.

I've always thought the best outcome for the Eau Claire redevelopment would be if Harvard Developments sold the parcel to either CMLC or Truman.

A joint venture of Truman, Certus, RNDSQR, Intergulf, Hines, and Cidex (just kidding, no Cidex) with their own developments/Architects sharing an underground parkade(s) would make for a more interesting area than the uniformity we’ll eventually get.

Back