I’ll be interested to see how much natural lighting is actually achieved between this corner and the central atrium/skylight feature.

Is it weird I liked the darkness inside before? I also really liked the crystal staircase. It made it feel like you were in a strange alternate dimension or place.

There was lots to like about the old one - the chandelier thing, the rocks and gems, the concrete/midcentury touches on the outside of the building. But it also had the dirtiest carpet I've ever seen in a public building, and the access was just strange. I'm happy the museum is finally going to have a front door, and some interaction with Stephen Ave.

Terrible lighting for update pics, but still looks promising.
IMG_1052.jpeg
IMG_1053.jpeg
IMG_1054.jpeg
IMG_1055.jpeg
IMG_1056.jpeg
IMG_1057.jpeg
IMG_1058.jpeg
IMG_1059.jpeg
IMG_1065.jpeg

Meah, it’s definitely better than before, and should look even better when it’s fully complete. However, I’m a little disappointed in the execution of the facade. I don’t like the mix-mash of windows and mesh that circle the top floor (I don’t think those appeared in the renderings). I also find the gaps too big between the tiles. The renderings made the entire exterior appear very flush, flat, and uniform, it doesn’t look that way to me. The waves themselves are also more subdued than I was imagining.

Looking forward to the ground floor treatment and the windows, but as it stands, I’m giving the tiles a 7/10 for now.

Yeah, the gaps in the facade tiles really kill the flow. I'm still hoping that they add some white grout or something at the end to minimize the grid pattern.

I was never particularly enamoured by this design, but in the end it's the inside that will make or break it.

I like the look of it so far. It’s nice and simple and has elegance to it, I agree with disco stu that some sort of grout or filling in the cracks will make a big difference but other than that, I really like it.

Back