They need to bulldoze the Home Depot and Staples, and replace with a development consisting of 3-4 high rise towers and a couple urban format stores like the EV Superstore, or the Beltline CDN Tire.

A pedestrian overpass crossing Glenmore Trail at 4street, similar to the one that crosses as McLeod would also be nice.
That Home Depot does a lot of business. I can’t see it going anywhere anytime soon!

There's already a remarkable amount of density in the area, it's just not well served by basic services like grocery, by pedestrian realm or by transit. Four of the five densest DAs (Dissemination Area - a small Census geography; typically 400-700 people) in the city south of Mission are adjacent to Chinook; one of them is the DA this apartment building is in south of Chinook, the other three are in the 56th to 58th corridor north of Chinook, which is a remarkably dense area of unremarkable 3-5 storey older walk up apartments. (You don't want to know where the fifth DA is.) Combined with the (all affordable?) housing towers across Macleod, it's a little node of 3K or so people.

1665518174817.png

Half of the people in the blue outlined area live in the shaded portion on the bottom, this little dense node. 3K+ people, almost entirely affordable housing (partially formally, but the private market-based housing is also old and cheap). But there's no grocery store; the Chinook LRT is 800m walk from the nearest point; there's a #3 stop, and the #3 is reasonably frequent in peaks at least, but it's painfully slow and the stop is on the extreme NW corner of the shaded area (the middle intersection of 57th and 5th St - the densest corner south of Mission - is 450m walk from the #3 and 1300m from the LRT).

That Home Depot does a lot of business. I can’t see it going anywhere anytime soon!
Unfortunately you're correct. It'll be there for some time, but there are still areas that can be developed. Start with developing the area shown in red, and it gets density and potentially a better walkway system to the LRT station. Once that area gets developed, the land where Home depot sits become more valuable and maybe it too can be developed.

1665530661953.png

Regardless of the home depot area, there is a ton of space and parking lots around the area east of chinook. Chinook Plaza, The Scotia bank lot, and the natural goods lot really don't generate that much traffic and are in a great midtown location. If anything they could build midrises there and all those little stores ( Scotia, Circle K, Vape Shop or whatever can all come back on the ground level of these midrises. All of that area is sandwiched between a mall and the LRT. There are a lot of places like that around Centre Street there that can be developed into dense housing. Many of those stores can come back as CRUs in the future or new ones can make their way later on. Even South of Chinook, does a lot with Tims and Esso need to really be there? If anything they can always bring back Tim's as a CRU and it will probably generate more foot traffic than it does right now.

This area definitely suffers from a cohesive plan. I don't think its even on the city's radar. There's a ton of potential for the area to become a dense, walkable neighborhood with good car access, a lot of parking and good transit service. I just don't see all the different large parcel land owners (Cadillac Fairview, etc.) coming together to actually push the area to that. They're on their own to make the best of their own parcels, and I don't think many or any of them do residential.

Back