I think the "LRT to the airport" project funding is just a blue line extension to 88th Ave/a future "airport connector", not all the way to the airport?

1713076000463.png

Wow, I mean this seems like a lot of work for a tunnel for a private company and some pedestrians. The issue with this line is it has become like an Olympic games; it is a city redefining project that has eliminated old landfills, closed a chicken factory, and added tunnels. In saying that I actually don't think it is a bad thing but it definitely is not just a train to nowhere.

Last edited:
Wow, I mean this seems like a lot of work for tunnel for a private company and some pedestrians. The issue with this line is it has become like an Olympic games; it is a city redefining project that has eliminated old landfills, closed a chicken factory, and added tunnels. In saying that I actually don't think it is a bad thing but it definitely is not just a train to nowhere.
A private company which controls the ROW shared by two LRT lines. Which employs 1000s of Calgarians. Which had its own town site in Ogden before the city was there.

Wow, I mean this seems like a lot of work for tunnel for a private company and some pedestrians. The issue with this line is it has become like an Olympic games; it is a city redefining project that has eliminated old landfills, closed a chicken factory, and added tunnels. In saying that I actually don't think it is a bad thing but it definitely is not just a train to nowhere.
The crossing is also used by other businesses on Ogden Dale Rd, which includes semi- trucks with trailers. That grade crossing is already quite tight with just the CPKC line, and the addition of 2 LRT tracks will increase the risk due to the decreased safe stopping area and large increase in crossing activation.

A private company which controls the ROW shared by two LRT lines. Which employs 1000s of Calgarians. Which had its own town site in Ogden before the city was there.
The crossing is also used by other businesses on Ogden Dale Rd, which includes semi- trucks with trailers. That grade crossing is already quite tight with just the CPKC line, and the addition of 2 LRT tracks will increase the risk due to the decreased safe stopping area and large increase in crossing activation.
Apologies for the hyperbole, I don't mind it at all, just used it as vehicle to express my point on this being city redefining.

Apologies for the hyperbole, I don't mind it at all, just used it as vehicle to express my point on this being city redefining.
All good, I am just very excited to no longer get stuck at that crossing & light.

I think both it and the pedestrian tunnel will be good for the area. Not much room on the CP side of the tracks to develop right now, but I am confident on the Ogden side developing a lot once the line opens up.

I am confident on the Ogden side developing a lot
If the city-wide rezoning goes through the Ogden corridor right next to the Green Line should be completely redone in no time. Unfortunately this will remove some affordable housing near a train but as city-building goes it couldn't be a better opportunity for density.

Good question. I assume that it's something based on the RouteAhead plans from 2012 but unfortunately those documents no longer seem to be available online anymore. This page gives a brief summary of what their plans were and sounds like a re-allocation of roads (and some sidewalks) for BRT travel and boarding:

View attachment 548555
Haven't been on this site in a minute.

Catching up, reading this one really cracked me up. The fact that they consider 10 minute frequency "very high frequency" (to the point that they think increasing it anymore is some intractable problem) is funny when you look at how Translink runs a route like the R4 with 2-4 minute frequency during peak hours.

And that bus works fairly well with minimal investment in making it a "transit way". The more I experience, the more I realize how important just frequency in itself is for an efficient system that people would want to consider using.

Back