Best direction for the Green line at this point?

• Go ahead with the current option of Eau Claire to Lynbrook and phase in extensions.

Votes: 28 73.7%
  • Re-design the whole system

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Cancel it altogether

Votes: 2 5.3%

• Total voters
So we have some info from the province via the city:
1722357361535.png

1722357379048.png

And from the feds:
1722357526284.png

1722357451231.png

So we have a major scope change coming.

Question is what that scope change looks like.

FFS this sounds like it will be another delay based on having to re-submit the new scope to the Federal and Provincial governments. I hope the descoping doesn't cut off the SE segment to Ogden. Shepard should be the bare minimum. Also WTF is the UCP talking about with their Grand central Station? Is it drawn on the back of a napkin or have they actually come up with a concrete proposal? Danielle Smith would be a nightmare client to deal with pushing last minute changes that completely change the scope of an agreed upon design. Hopefully the city just bites the bullet and moves forward with construction while the other levels of government work out their shit.

Unfortunately, I think the most cost effective option would be:

-Surface-run the Greenline along 11th Ave.
-Tunnel north under Centre Street
-End the tunnel past 4th Ave
-Build a surface station in Chinatown
-Close the crossing at Centre street and 3rd Ave. to vehicles.

It's a shitty compromise, and building an 800m tunnel with an underground station at 7th Ave is going to be expensive. But at least the city saves money crossing the Bow River by using the Centre street bridge. Without additional funding, I don't think the original plan is going to get off the ground.

1722364133630.png

Unfortunately, I think the most cost effective option would be:

-Surface-run the Greenline along 11th Ave.
-Tunnel north under Centre Street
-End the tunnel past 4th Ave
-Build a surface station in Chinatown
-Close the crossing at Centre street and 3rd Ave. to vehicles.

It's a shitty compromise, and building an 800m tunnel with an underground station at 7th Ave is going to be expensive. But at least the city saves money crossing the Bow River by using the Centre street bridge. Without additional funding, I don't think the original plan is going to get off the ground.
Much less bad than the between city hall and library option. I suspect we will get a delivery shift instead. Abandon absolute fixed cost and risk share on inflation and some tunnel contingencies.

FFS this sounds like it will be another delay based on having to re-submit the new scope to the Federal and Provincial governments. I hope the descoping doesn't cut off the SE segment to Ogden. Shepard should be the bare minimum. Also WTF is the UCP talking about with their Grand central Station? Is it drawn on the back of a napkin or have they actually come up with a concrete proposal? Danielle Smith would be a nightmare client to deal with pushing last minute changes that completely change the scope of an agreed upon design. Hopefully the city just bites the bullet and moves forward with construction while the other levels of government work out their shit.
You think with how important Calgary is to any party’s chance of winning an election it would be priority #1 to pump more dollars into calgary for the UCP. Winning points by being a bully or cheap doesn’t seem to way to go??

You think with how important Calgary is to any party’s chance of winning an election it would be priority #1 to pump more dollars into calgary for the UCP. Winning points by being a bully or cheap doesn’t seem to way to go??
They just take Calgary for granted as a historic conservative city. Can’t wait for Nenshi to fight them come election time. He should be highlighting this now.

To be fair, not to stereotype but I don't get the sense that transit is a huge election issue for UCP voters in the SE, it's probably easier for them to place blame on an unpopular municipal government than it is to find the extra money. And for the Federal Liberals, they will be wiped out in Alberta next election so any ask from this city is likely to be ignored.

Unfortunately neither the Province or Feds see any political capital coming out of putting any extra funding in.

Being positive and working forward with Alberta’s biggest city seems the best way to go. Don’t understand Danielle Smith and the UCP’s direction with this?

Turn the project into a boondoggle and then use it against Nenshi, since some of it happened under his watch. But of course they were messing around on this long before Nenshi was the opponent

Back