MichaelS

Member Bio
Reaction score
Another mixed use multi-storey building along 37th Street. Nice to see the streetscape upgrade and Max Teal BRT start to generate a pretty significant amount of redevelopment:
1703190832782.png

37 Street is so hot right now [insert zoolander will Ferrell meme here]

What’s the theory (at least at generating applications) on the success of this corridor v. Some of the other main streets that have also been rezoned by the city? 37th seems the most notable before and after change in activity compared to other areas.

What’s the theory (at least at generating applications) on the success of this corridor v. Some of the other main streets that have also been rezoned by the city? 37th seems the most notable before and after change in activity compared to other areas.
Interestingly, 33rd and 34th are to be adding density ahead of the main street project. With the exception of a few lots developers (mostly Sarina) are spurred on by even the concept of a full main street.

Location: close to MRU, rolling hills topography, close to Blue Line, easy access to dt and the mountains, not much vehicular traffic, surrounding suburban areas have big lots

Yeah this has way too many different shapes and sizes of window / balcony. It's kind of visual chaos...

Don't mind the massing or the colour, but those arches have to go.

It reminds me of a forgettable 1970s/1980s Vancouver main street development - a bit too much going on, but overall muted colours, forgettable but effectively infill.

As always, I am not a fan of the raised main floor retail - I get the existing topography and hauling dirt is expensive, but you're digging so much out already for a basement and it's hardly like it's on a major hill, it's only the property itself that has a grade. Think about the end user experience and the success of that retail - adding random accessibility barriers to save a few bucks is silly in the long-run.

1703366961370.png

I’m sorry, but this is design is just plain odd. I don’t get what FAAS is trying for here. The scale is great, however and will fit right into 37th.

Back