This is 18 5 bedroom units. Weird. I can't figure out who this is geared towards, they are saying multi-generational families, but the bedrooms all of ensuite washrooms like mini hotels. Feels more like an AirBnB hostel situation, because how much would one of these cost to rent or buy for a family?
View attachment 472793
Interesting - indeed super weird. I think you are right, kind of a AirBnB / co-housing type development. Given the location, I could see this as some sort of investor play to convince 18 investors that they can capitalize on Stampede proximity to rent these bedrooms out. That's a lot of bathrooms!

This is 18 5 bedroom units. Weird. I can't figure out who this is geared towards, they are saying multi-generational families, but the bedrooms all of ensuite washrooms like mini hotels. Feels more like an AirBnB hostel situation, because how much would one of these cost to rent or buy for a family?
View attachment 472793
This type of set up would be something found in university residencies - but given it's in the beltline looks very geared to Airbnb like you said. Not too sure about 1 kitchen for 5 individuals (maybe up to 10 individuals! can you imagine...)
Also only 11 parking stalls + 2 handicap parking - fantastic location but Calgarians do love their cars. I like the usage of space and multiple of these would look great around the inner city neighborhoods. .

Looks like something geared to multi-generation immigrant families.
For this many bedrooms the sqft is going to be quite high. Unless they price them super low, I can't imagine why anyone with large families would live in this condo vs a house. Sure the location wouldn't be the Beltline but urban walkable neighbourhoods aimed at young people typically not the top of the list of multi-generation immigrant families (having grown up in one myself).

Could see it as student housing aimed at graduate students that don't want the city lifestyle and not live around a bunch of undergrads

I believe this project is intended to draw Airbnb investors, and the odd unit design stems from minimum parking requirement per unit with the maximum amount of parking stalls they can fit on the tiny plot of land.

The number of international student and work permits issued have exploded under this federal administration. The year to year increase is well over 100,000 people a year. It could be 150,000 to 200,000. Calgary's housing crisis isn't quite yet at Toronto's level. It's still within the possibilities to charge rent by the bed and house 15 people in each 5 bedroom unit. It's probably high on the list of outcomes if these units sell fast.

The floorplans make this seem equivalent to some types of university dorm; little pods of 5 bedrooms that share a common kitchen and lounge. One bedroom is even a little bigger with the extra "office" for the floor supervisor or whatever , haha.

Dunno if it's a great living arrangement but it exists already on campuses everywhere, endured by many. It's housing, which is something.

Definitely agree that many of these units will end up with 10+ residents.

Back