Votes: 14 14.9%
  • So So

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terrible

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
Definitely won't be any time soon, as it's condos and they haven't even launched sales.

I don't know that they've pulled out for good, so much as a hiatus, but yeah, probably won't be anytime soon.
AFAK Qualex still own the land, so they haven’t gone anywhere.
I thought Park Point was a no go since Qualex-Landmark was pulling out of Calgary?
Qualex still owns the land, so they never really left in the first place. Same for the other developers who have supposedly left.

That dumbass article by Richard White has given a bunch of people the wrong impression.
Fram is the only developer I know off hand who sold their land and booked a one way ticket out.

Anyhooo back to Park Central. Phase 2 will be good to see for a number of reasons. It’ll be more density, in the heart of the Beltline. It’ll also be great to see the empty parking lot disappear, especially in an area that has seen so much improvement over the last five years.

Heckin right! On that block alone, with Castello, there will be over 1000 units, translating to about 1500 people and about 5% of the Beltline population on one block.

Fourth and 17th have extremely high potential. Fourth works so well because the most established part is the part south of 17th, while the part with the most potential is the part connecting 17th to Stephen Avenue.

The intersections of Fourth and 17th and Eighth and 17th have really great potential to urban destinations. For 8/17 Tomkins Plaza needs a refresh to make it more of a destination, along with the Park Royal Hotel. For 4/17 that office building needs to be converted to a hotel, with the podium remade more pedestrian friendly with excellent restaurants like it used to have (Anju 🥲), and that shitty retail building on the NW corner built a few years ago needs to be torn down and a mid rise a la 'Theodore' needs to be put in its place and that will really skyrocket the space.

A boy can dream…

Edit: Oh and also, both intersections need omnidirectional crosswalks.

I feel like electronic signage like that is better suited to a Stephen Ave location, where it is surrounded by office towers at night, so as not to make people's homes glow when they are trying to sleep. Plus, would be a draw into the core in off-peak hours. But, I would take it on 17th Ave, just to get something like that in Calgary.

4th and 17th has so much potential with both streets being major corridors. It’d be cool if there was some electronic signage like you’d see in Tokyo, Piccadilly Circus or Young and Bloor.
I think 4th is an ideal candidate for 1-way to 2-way conversion north of 12th Avenue.
  • Drivers don't have to give up anything, 2-way conversion is a free lunch - it currently is impossible to use the capacity created from the 1-way as their isn't enough input lanes to create 4 lanes of demand northbound at 10th Avenue (5 lanes northbound in some areas around 8th Avenue). Probably in my "Top 3" of example of how our insane road design choices were arbitrarily applied and never revisited in the decades since despite no evidence of traffic demand ever requiring such a design.
  • The mighty Route 3 does an unneeded jog to 5th jog over to 5th Street and back as a result. Keep the mainline bus route on the main street like all other major cities do with main streets. Will improve travel times and route consistency.
  • North of 12th Avenue sidewalks get rocky - random narrowing from weird bus turn outs and extra wide outside lanes, extra lanes for turns for some reason, same old story - two-way to a 4 lane standard with no turning lanes would allow for more consistent sidewalks

I feel like electronic signage like that is better suited to a Stephen Ave location, where it is surrounded by office towers at night, so as not to make people's homes glow when they are trying to sleep. Plus, would be a draw into the core in off-peak hours. But, I would take it on 17th Ave, just to get something like that in Calgary.
You could do that kind of signage in both places. It could help draw people to the cbd, but there needs to be more things happening downtown, otherwise it's a semi-empty intersection with lots of brights lights. 17th and 4th would be an instant success due to the activity of the two strips. Stephen Ave and 1st st SW could a good spot for some bright signs.

Back