Anyone know how the future conversion of this parkade is going to work with the inclined slabs?
if the slabs aren't too bad, a farmers market type thing could work - just install stalls on slopes. a more extensive rework I think would involve taking most of the prefab concrete off, and replacing it with new prefab concrete for two independent towers linked together.

My understanding is that the parkade will always be parking. The whole "convertible to a different use" thing essentially means the structural pillars have been built to support two point towers above the parkade. So essentially the parkade becomes parking for the towers, the towers are built on the existing structure and the existing exterior is easily removed and a new facade installed to match whatever goes on the towers. Voila, no more parkade.

amazing theres never been any communication of that. they bothered to add the fusion reaction to the background of the renderings. seems a stretch that they have two towers up their sleeve they never made public. and even so why?

No point towers above. The parking can be replaced by office/residential. The slope of the ramp is between 1-2% so the hallways would be remain shallow ramp and the units' floors incrementally levelled. The ceiling height of the parkade is higher than what is needed for a parkade to be suitable for offices/residential. The ramp in the middle of the courtyard that skips past the PLATFORM level is designed to be removable.

I don’t mind that. Might happen sooner than we think. I’d prefer a farmers market or other community use though. Affordable housing would also be dope 👌🏼

No point towers above. The parking can be replaced by office/residential. The slope of the ramp is between 1-2% so the hallways would be remain shallow ramp and the units' floors incrementally levelled. The ceiling height of the parkade is higher than what is needed for a parkade to be suitable for offices/residential. The ramp in the middle of the courtyard that skips past the PLATFORM level is designed to be removable.
I'll take "Things that will absolutely never happen" for $500, Alex.

With all the extra space in and around the core, why would someone ever want to open a business in a converted parkade? Parking right beside your desk would appeal to some in this city I guess lol.
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe someday we'll see other uses in there, but I suspect it won't be businesses. Maybe workshop or studio style space.

Fingers crossed for central farmers market.

image0.jpg
image2.jpg
image3.jpg
image4.jpg
image5.jpg

Back