Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 97 66.9%
  • No

Votes: 38 26.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 10 6.9%

• Total voters
No one buys worthless air rights to use 100 years from now. 500,000 square feet of residential (750 units) may commit as little as $15 million to the project. Ottawa is an idea and one also dependent on the city paying for it.
Correct, but the City might be able to creatively monetize this by creating a density pool accessible to developers to purchase as a bonusing item within the Bylaw framework. Once this is legislated, the City could theoretically take this to the bank and lever against it. It would effectively function the same way a land loan does.

Correct, but the City might be able to creatively monetize this by creating a density pool accessible to developers to purchase as a bonusing item within the Bylaw framework. Once this is legislated, the City could theoretically take this to the bank and lever against it. It would effectively function the same way a land loan does.

To make air rights valuable, you need to block tall development elsewhere unless it has been allocated or has purchased air rights. I think it's counterproductive for the City to restrict development elsewhere so it can create a valuable asset by only allowing development on/near this site, so the City can gift that valuable asset to this project.

If building an arena is a good use of public funds, then the City should contribute public funds to it in a simple and transparent manner. All these ticket taxes, land swaps, flood insurance schemes, and other funky mechanisms are just designed to complicate and obscure the economic value of what the City is contributing, because Councilors don't want to admit what they are actually doing.

That’s what I meant earlier. Didn’t get the language right. Thank you.

Do you guys think there will be many big concerts once a new arena is built? Looking at many tours of artists that are mainstream now (The Weeknd, Post Malone, Kid Cudi, etc.) they all almost stick to Vancouver and Toronto. Montreal is 50/50 which always confuses me. Edmonton is rarely a part on these big tours tho. They have had big names come in, but not as much as I expected.

I wonder with the Flames new arena if that'll be the same thing. You will get maybe a couple of big artists here and there, but most of them will just stick to the other big 3 cities for their Canada part of their tour. Or do you think it has to do with Edmonton as a city more than anything?

A big reason for me getting this arena built will be to not have to fly to Vancouver to watch concerts, and while I do not expect to attract as many artists as Vancouver does, if it is Edmonton's schedule, that would be a little disappointing imo

Well, let's hope the "Provincial Assistance" includes a big cheque, otherwise i am not sure what else they can provide.
Signing off on the CRL. Just like the PCs did for Edmonton. Way back in the day Smith campaigned on launching Keno in bars, not realizing it wouldn’t raise as much money as it does in BC, due to competition from VLTs.

I'm okay with the city and CSEC working together on a new Event Centre but the Province should not be involved.
Signing off on the CRL. Just like the PCs did for Edmonton. Way back in the day Smith campaigned on launching Keno in bars, not realizing it wouldn’t raise as much money as it does in BC, due to competition from VLTs.
I doubt the Province is signing off on a new CRL when there's already one (Rivers District CRL) active in that area. Unless I misunderstood what you meant?

Do you guys think there will be many big concerts once a new arena is built? Looking at many tours of artists that are mainstream now (The Weeknd, Post Malone, Kid Cudi, etc.) they all almost stick to Vancouver and Toronto. Montreal is 50/50 which always confuses me. Edmonton is rarely a part on these big tours tho. They have had big names come in, but not as much as I expected.

I wonder with the Flames new arena if that'll be the same thing. You will get maybe a couple of big artists here and there, but most of them will just stick to the other big 3 cities for their Canada part of their tour. Or do you think it has to do with Edmonton as a city more than anything?

A big reason for me getting this arena built will be to not have to fly to Vancouver to watch concerts, and while I do not expect to attract as many artists as Vancouver does, if it is Edmonton's schedule, that would be a little disappointing imo
We would definitely get more shows here. How many concerts does Edmonton get compared to Calgary? We would also get a date, or just take the Edmonton date as Calgary is the more well known city internationally.

It depends what your definition of ‘big concerts’ is. I’m not familiar with Post Malone, and I’ve never heard of Kid Cudi. The Weekend is a big act though.
Looking through upcoming concerts for Rogers Place in Edmonton, I see there are some acts that will draw people. Blink 182, Arcade fire, James Taylor, Rod Stewart, Maroon 5, Rage Against the Machine, and I wouldn’t be surprised if all of those sell out…even Rod Stewart lol.

Back