Going back to this one - note the 'Future 3.0m Regional Path' just south of 17th

1713803709722-png.558248

It looks like we may be getting something way more craptacular (about 600 meters from the station door):

Screenshot 2024-10-07 at 4.43.58 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-10-07 at 4.44.08 PM.png

But I guess its not surprising as this already exists 240 meters from the station door:

Screenshot 2024-10-07 at 4.48.49 PM.png

Good points. I guess it's hard to know when to build it out. I just see all of the development that is and has happened into the NE and SW and now West Calgary where the LRT is supposed to expand into, and nothing is happening.

I would love to get rid of my cars, but it seems impossible in this City.

We can't even build an lrt to SE and North Central Calgary. An entire quadrant has been built (including a hospital) with promised TOD development and no train. The SW is lucky Bronconnier had property near Westbrook.

That's not why it went ahead - in fact, he recused himself from voting on it.

He bought that property based on public plans from the mid 80s. I think it was closer to being a savvy move than being evidence of corruption.
Sounds like you are Bronco’s PR guy 🙄

That's not why it went ahead - in fact, he recused himself from voting on it.

He bought that property based on public plans from the mid 80s. I think it was closer to being a savvy move than being evidence of corruption.
We have LRT built out to the section of the city with the highest proportion of 3-car garages... not sure why that was a priority over the SE.

We have LRT built out to the section of the city with the highest proportion of 3-car garages... not sure why that was a priority over the SE.
The plans were made in the mid 80s, before there was anything worth building to in the SE.

Also, if you look at the inner city part (out to 45 St on the west line, or out to Ogden on the SE line), which one has more residences, and which one is a giant industrial area? Which one has more potential for development of more residences?

Maybe it was a bad decision, but where are you getting that the mayor rammed this through? He has one vote on council like every other councillor (or actually zero votes when he recused himself).

Last edited:
And in 2007, there was a rival mayoral campaign (Alnoor Kassan) who was campaigning against Broconnier on building the West LRT even faster if I remember correctly.

Whether it was prioritized for questionable reasons or not, the reality is still an entire quadrant of the city without lrt with a major hospital.

Unfortunately transit does not get built because the residents do not demand it. If homebuyers wanted transit connections, we'd be developing other areas of the city with existing transit before greenfield land in the West end of the city. In Toronto, when they announced the build out of the Eglinton LRT, easily tens of thousands of units were proposed along the route, because developers know its valued by homebuyers. Our traffic situation is way better, which lessens the incentive for transit use for people that have a car (as many of these residents will)

Back