IMG_0533.jpeg
IMG_0534.jpeg
IMG_0535.jpeg
IMG_0531.jpeg

The black material looks kind of cheap, but once it’s cleaned up it should look better. The brick and the corrugated aluminum look great though.

One of the best things about U/D and to me why it’s getting built so fast is the lack of community association opposition to everything. Communities like Kensington, Marda Loop, Inglewood and other established communities just flounder in opposition and appeals to every proposal. To me it’s why U/D, West District, Springbank and other new built communities are flying up and at the end of the day are better finished products. Developers must cringe when they they release a project in an established community vs a new build. The paperwork and hoops they have to jump through just get shovels in the ground.

These UD projects all seem to be getting the main things right with their materials, street orientation and massing. Went to the movies at UD on the weekend and even my wife who isn't a planning nerd like us commented on how it feels like a proper urban district. Lots of pedestrians everywhere and even after the show there were people hanging at the firepits at around 10:00 at night.

One of the best things about U/D and to me why it’s getting built so fast is the lack of community association opposition to everything. Communities like Kensington, Marda Loop, Inglewood and other established communities just flounder in opposition and appeals to every proposal. To me it’s why U/D, West District, Springbank and other new built communities are flying up and at the end of the day are better finished products. Developers must cringe when they they release a project in an established community vs a new build. The paperwork and hoops they have to jump through just get shovels in the ground.
100% on the dot. This forum has really opened my eyes into how much of a hassle it is for developers to build something in the intercity, or in any established area, Glenmore Landing, anyone? I mean, even Bridgeland, when they were developing ‘The Bridges’ which was nothing but empty lots for the longest time, residents were still opposing the developments. I remember when dominion was proposed the community was up in arms about how these two ‘high-rise towers’ were gonna ruin the neighborhood. 🙁

v
These UD projects all seem to be getting the main things right with their materials, street orientation and massing. Went to the movies at UD on the weekend and even my wife who isn't a planning nerd like us commented on how it feels like a proper urban district. Lots of pedestrians everywhere and even after the show there were people hanging at the firepits at around 10:00 at night.
UD has absolutely nailed it so far...apart from those damn bike lanes.

I wonder if University District will ever have a Community Association? It's unique to any other neighbor in the city given that it's all Freehold land owned by the University, but I don't think that would stop one from being created. Who knows, maybe in the long run we'll see the community opposing high rise proposals for the Olympic Oval parking lot.

It’s turned out exactly like the renderings. once Kanas took over the project I was worried it might get VE’d but it’s exactly as the original plan.

Back