IMG_5371.jpeg
IMG_5374.jpeg
IMG_5368.jpeg
IMG_5377.jpeg

It would be easy to implement too, there’s enough space to move the cars 3-1/2’ from the curb on each side and pop in a bike lane.

It would be easy to implement too, there’s enough space to move the cars 3-1/2’ from the curb on each side and pop in a bike lane.
1725328112565.png

I dunno - where can we ever find the space in this crowded road? :)

I have never found a compelling argument on why wide outside lanes are preferred by transportation engineers in urban contexts.

Looks to be enough space. Usually 1.5m for a one lane will do the trick, and there looks to be easily enough room to do it. Create a lane against the sidewalk, and move the cars out into the road more, like they do in the downtown cycle tracks, and voila!
1725328773787.png

Looks to be enough space. Usually 1.5m for a one lane will do the trick, and there looks to be easily enough room to do it.
View attachment 593372
If you're looking for another 0.5m of space, you should look at example #3201 of the incredible extent we cater for cars - look at that perfect door zone setback on the sidewalk in case someone has a passenger for the whole block. In effect, on the passenger side the door swing zone has it's own dedicated space.

Don't get me wrong - nice attention to detail. But perhaps we can consider bicycles at all before we get into a driver's niche street design feature so obscure it has never once been requested by a member of the public in any consultation.

If you're looking for another 0.5m of space, you should look at example #3201 of the incredible extent we cater for cars - look at that perfect door zone setback on the sidewalk in case someone has a passenger for the whole block. In effect, on the passenger side the door swing zone has it's own dedicated space.

Don't get me wrong - nice attention to detail. But perhaps we can consider bicycles at all before we get into a driver's niche street design feature so obscure it has never once been requested by a member of the public in any consultation.
Who ever designed the avenue layout, did a lot of things well, but had an epic fail with the lack of bike lanes.

Looks to be enough space. Usually 1.5m for a one lane will do the trick, and there looks to be easily enough room to do it. Create a lane against the sidewalk, and move the cars out into the road more, like they do in the downtown cycle tracks, and voila!
View attachment 593372

That’s the Skip and Uber double park lane don’t ya know!!

Who ever designed the avenue layout, did a lot of things well, but had an epic fail with the lack of bike lanes.

U/D is good walking neighborhood but the total lack of bike infrastructure, and the poor integration of the BRT make it unpleasant to visit or leave without a car.

It’s particularly frustrating because so much was done right, that the wrong choices stand out even more.

The reason University Avenue is that large (4 lanes, 3.3m wide) is to allow for future transit only lanes for the primary transit network. At the time of their outline plan, there were 3 BRT routes planned to use it. The now implemented Max Orange, the perptually stuck in "study" NW Hub line, and the BRT that would link the Sage Hill Transit Hub with Brentwood LRT. I think all 3 are technically still on the books, hopefully they get implemented one day.

It is worth pointing out that curb to curb, I think University Ave is slightly narrower than 4th Street through Mission.

If my eyes aren’t deceiving me, I get 17.5m wide for university Avenue, and 13.5m for 4th Street.

Back