MichaelS

Member Bio
Reaction score
A development permit and land use application have been submitted for the vacant parcel in Parkdale Village, located at 3rd Avenue/Memorial Drive and 34th Street NW. This parcel was City owned, but was sold as one of 3 sites back in October to provide affordable housing. Liberty Housing Organization was the successful proponent for this site, and now have their application in:

1704317186452.png

Looks cool, right in my hood too!

The city has sent me a few mail-outs about the south shaganappi communities local area plan, looks like some major changes are in the works. The area north of Point McKay will probably get most of it, but Parkdale, Montgomery, Varsity are all going to be involved too.

If anyone is curious, here's the map of where the city is proposing additional density be focused in the South Shaganappi communities. I'm guessing that there will be a lot of resistance to this, particularly from Varsity Village and University Heights. I think it's a no brainer to create dense, walkable/bikable areas surrounding the University, so am really hope the majority of this plan can get through.

South_Shaganappi_Potential_Focus_Areas_for_Growth_Map.png

This one is perfect. Clearly a no-brainer as its inner city, next to major employers like the hospitals, and is in a major road. Perfect placement for added density.

If a few more of these mid rise buildings go up, then this road would be a great candidate for the next MAX BRT line that is developed.

Well this is now my favourite project in the City. The arches, materials, scale and brick screening is perfect. 10/10 and it’s affordable housing, damn.

It’ll be a miracle if it makes it through tender with this level of design and materials, but here’s to hoping it does!

Back