It was approved back in 2018, quite a while back. Is there a time limit to a DP once it's approved? I recall it being three years, but can't remember if that's only for DP's that haven't been approved.

They have just submitted for a building permit for this structure, but it is unclear if they will be beginning construction any time soon. They submitted mostly to beat the 2023 NBCAE building code cycle. DP2017-5640 is still valid and is pending release.

It would be nice to see another high-rise. We’re kinda hitting a dry spell.
Boy are we ever! I was in TO in the spring and it was just depressing seeing all the construction cranes vs. the smattering of cranes (mostly for 6 storey wood frame) here. Then again, I suppose the city we are most often compared to, Denver, is also not exactly a hot bed of skyscraper construction these days.

There is a fair amount of stuff in the planning stages from what I know and hear, but even little midrises like Sovereign aren't getting going. What's the problem here - interest rates? Lack of trades? Construction costs?

I'd like to see a few more highrises in the Beltline, but tbh, I enjoying all of the 6 storey builds and rowhomes going up in inner city areas. Toronto's mass amount of apartment towers create a lot of density, but I don't find their overall new housing builds very diversified. It's apartment towers or nothing. Kind of the same thing with Vancouver and Montreal. I like apartment towers as much as the next guy, but I like Calgary's diversity of housing builds right now. My only gripe is that so many of the new 6 storey builds are at the far edges of the city rather than a parking lot in the core, but it could be worse.

Back