9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

MetroMan

Member Bio
Reaction score
It's always been a dream of mine to spend a night camping with the city skyline as the perfect backdrop.

Is it legal to camp on Centre Island? Any alternatives like the Leslie Spit? Don Valley?

By camping, I don't mean a big setup or anything. Just me and my girlfriend with a tent and a couple of bikes.

It's not legal, but if you were to crawl into some of the more secluded wooded areas, I'm sure you could get away with it. I think it is frequently done. You may recall last year the unfortunate incident of a group who had camped, and in the morning, decided to go swimming. One young man died, apparently resulting from hypothermia. (Offered just as a cautionary tale; the lake can be cold even in summer.)

Thanks for the tips. As long as there isn't an obvious sign that it is prohibited, I think I'll go for it. I'm thinking of buying a kayak so we'd kayak over at dawn and set up the tent just before nightfall. We're not planning a fire or anything so unless there are security or police going around with flashlights, we should be invisible until the morning.

How about Tommy Thompson Park (Lesilie Spit)? It has a great view of the city and seems to be mostly wild land at this point.

Some people have mention to me that they'd like to canoe or kayak down the Don River. Is this a good idea? I haven't explored the valley much but from what I've seen, the water seems to be murky.

In regards to the islands, I know some Scout groups camp on the Snake Island, although I believe they obtain special permission to do so.

I think the Islands would be a much better idea than the Spit. There are no services on the spit and most of it is windswept.

There are a lot of stories out there about people camping on the Islands. If you chose a secluded spot and didn't cause any problems, I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem.

As for canoeing down the Don, I think the water's only deep enough during the spring runoff (and that ship has already sailed for this year). Have you tried Googling it? Don't worry about murkiness... only dead lakes and rivers are clear.

Urban Shocker: Do tell.

Have you ever had trouble with authorities? What's a good spot? Are there others openly camping on the island?

That went over your head...

camp2 Informal
adj
1. effeminate; affected in mannerisms, dress, etc.
2. homosexual
3. (Performing Arts / Theatre) consciously artificial, exaggerated, vulgar, or mannered; self-parodying, esp when in dubious taste
vb
1. (tr) to perform or invest with a camp quality
camp it up
a. to seek to focus attention on oneself by making an ostentatious display, overacting, etc.
b. to flaunt one's homosexuality
n
a camp quality, style, etc.

Hmm ... the reference was a little too obscure for some of us.

The Leslie Street spit used to be open to the public on weekends only. During the week it was used as a dumping site for dirt and construction debris (that's what it's made of) Has this changed recently? It is pretty much open, and I question whether camping there would be such a good idea.

Okay - playing it straight - I did once consider camping out on the Hanlan's beach with some friends, lighting a campfire etc. one summer evening waaay back in the '70s. We were told, however, that the police patrol in the evenings and make sure anyone doing so gets on the last ferry back to the mainland. Maybe it has changed since, but I doubt it.

Okay - playing it straight - I did once consider camping out on the Hanlan's beach with some friends, lighting a campfire etc. one summer evening waaay back in the '70s. We were told, however, that the police patrol in the evenings and make sure anyone doing so gets on the last ferry back to the mainland. Maybe it has changed since, but I doubt it.

hehehe..."ferry" = "fairy"...hehehe

Hey, don't think some of you others went BeavisButthead about it, too

Did they get eaten by island residents? What happened? :p I think you're referring to the kid who died of hypothermia from jumping off a bridge on the island.

I'm not planning to go swim in Lake Ontario (yuck?), just set up a tent and stay the night.

Some people have mention to me that they'd like to canoe or kayak down the Don River. Is this a good idea? I haven't explored the valley much but from what I've seen, the water seems to be murky.

I've kayaked on Humber river several times. I've never seen any kind of boat using Don River, and I have doubts that it is even deep enough in some sections to be navigable.

If you do kayak on humber river, be sure that you don't have any open wounds as the bacteria levels are very high.

I'd suggest departing from Cherry beach to get to island.

Back